The craziest catch you’ll see this year

May 26, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT

Austin Wates‘ over-the-wall catch earlier this month was pretty incredible, but this one may have topped it.

That’s Derrick Salberg of Lower Columbia College. While the catch is impressive enough on its own, it’s even more remarkable given the context. Salsberg’s grab was with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning and prevented a game-tying home run in the first round of the NWAACC Baseball Championships. Lower Columbia held on for a 4-2 victory.

“By far the best catch I’ve ever made,” Salberg told Rick McCorkle of the Daily News. “I was waiting for the bullpen pitchers to tell me I was getting close to the fence. Thank God I didn’t run into the fence, and I’ve got some hops.”

Salberg’s team will play in a winner’s bracket semifinal against Mount Hood later this afternoon.

(Thanks to Keith Law for the links)

1. samu0034 - May 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Wow, I always sort of assumed that type of play would be called a home run, seeing as he landed completely out of the field of play. That’s pretty cool, though.

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Indeed, Samu, and what’s with the Eddie Gaedel-sized fence? Is this a Little League field?

• hiltonandastoria - May 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

He was in the field of play when he went in the air, as long as he doesn’t have a foot in foul territory before making the catch it’s all good.

• Walk - May 27, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Maybe pro rules or field specific rules differ there. I know our right fielder in high school went back on a catch in right at 370 sign fell over the fence but he caught the ball and was hanging upside down by his belt but on the other side of the fence. He still had the ball but it was ruled a home rune. I truly wish someone was taping that, i still get a laugh when i remember brandon hanging by his belt on that rail and sign.

2. dawgpoundmember - May 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

the best part is he gets up and jumps back over the fence in one motion

3. yepurwrong - May 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM

cheap college makes them play baseball on the tennis courts.

4. bigred12 - May 27, 2012 at 1:55 AM

great catch, but watch it again. maybe it’s just a funny angle, but it sure looks like he hits the ball to right-center.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1933)