May 26, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
That’s Derrick Salberg of Lower Columbia College. While the catch is impressive enough on its own, it’s even more remarkable given the context. Salsberg’s grab was with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning and prevented a game-tying home run in the first round of the NWAACC Baseball Championships. Lower Columbia held on for a 4-2 victory.
“By far the best catch I’ve ever made,” Salberg told Rick McCorkle of the Daily News. “I was waiting for the bullpen pitchers to tell me I was getting close to the fence. Thank God I didn’t run into the fence, and I’ve got some hops.”
Salberg’s team will play in a winner’s bracket semifinal against Mount Hood later this afternoon.
(Thanks to Keith Law for the links)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11