May 26, 2012, 12:54 PM EDT
That’s Derrick Salberg of Lower Columbia College. While the catch is impressive enough on its own, it’s even more remarkable given the context. Salsberg’s grab was with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning and prevented a game-tying home run in the first round of the NWAACC Baseball Championships. Lower Columbia held on for a 4-2 victory.
“By far the best catch I’ve ever made,” Salberg told Rick McCorkle of the Daily News. “I was waiting for the bullpen pitchers to tell me I was getting close to the fence. Thank God I didn’t run into the fence, and I’ve got some hops.”
Salberg’s team will play in a winner’s bracket semifinal against Mount Hood later this afternoon.
(Thanks to Keith Law for the links)
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12