Things got a little tense between Cliff Lee and Shane Victorino last night

May 26, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT

Cliff Lee Shane Victorino AP AP

The Phillies defeated the Cardinals 5-3 in 10 innings last night thanks to a go-ahead two-run homer by Hunter Pence. The big takeaway is that the Phillies have won three in a row and now sit one game over .500 (24-23) on the year, but the game featured an interesting moment after Shane Victorino was involved in a pair of defensive miscues in the bottom of the fourth inning.

After the Phillies got back to the dugout for the top of the fifth, Cliff Lee and Victorino exchanged some heated words. The pair didn’t come close to blows, but teammate Brian Schneider stepped in the way to prevent the situation from escalating. You can watch video of the disagreement here.

According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, neither would confirm whether the argument was over the pair of dropped fly balls.

“It’s going to stay between us,” Lee said. “I’m not going to talk about it.”
Victorino would not talk about it either.
“Just go,” he said brusquely, waving a reporter away from his locker.

Two highly-competitive people getting into an argument is hardly shocking and Lee was likely just blowing off some steam. Can you really blame the guy? Despite an excellent 2.82 ERA and 47/8 K/BB ratio over his first eight starts, the 33-year-old southpaw is still searching for his first win this season.

1. drmonkeyarmy - May 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I thought the most interesting part of the link provided was the little blurb that said the Phillies are going to try Dom Brown in CF. Really? He is a train wreck at the corners, how is he going to play center? Anyway, I’d be real curious to know what that argument was about.

• drmonkeyarmy - May 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM

This connection should have been obvious but I am a bit slow today: If they want Brown to try out CF, what does that say about how the Phillies feel about resigning Victorino?

• Alex K - May 26, 2012 at 1:14 PM

The reads on the ball are easier in center, from what I understand. Brown should have enough speed to cover the ground in center, so it might work out pretty well. He also has enough arm for center. Wasn’t his biggest problem the in the corners the routes he takes to the ball?

2. eaglesfan723 - May 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I cant blame Cliff for getting mad at his teammates. They should get yelled at, especially Victorino for playing so piss poor. He will be traded because they Phillies wont resign him. Expect D. Brown to be called up to platoon in CF.

PS. I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Cliff and Shane traded by All-Star break.

3. ncphilliesguy - May 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Vic is gone. It’s Gillies or Mayberry in center next year. Or now maybe Brown. They can’t afford him, I think it will be tough to afford both Hamels and Pence. As for last night, I was a little disappointed in CLee. He is my man, but Vic has pulled his butt out if the fire many times, and clearly he just lost the ball in the lights. He made up for it with the throw to get Molina at third, and the throw to Galvis who then nailed Molina at the plate. Cliff needs to keep the emotions in a little better check. However, when he pitches, he should bat second.

4. xmatt0926x - May 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Disagree with the contention that they didn’t come close to blows. After the initial exchange died down Lee is filing his nails and looking away. Victorino was quiet for a few seconds and clearly starts to say something to Lee again. At that point Lee puts down his nail clipper/filer and clearly moves at Victorino agressively before being stopped by Schneider. From what I remember reading about Cliff Lee when the Phillies first got him a few years ago, he was a guy who had no problem getting onto fights with people as a younger guy. Victorino is a known knucklehead who has had many mental lapses on the field before but I can’t blame him. He obviously lost the ball in the twilight just as Pence did very soon after. As far as Dom Brown playing center, I guess they have to find someone. There’s just no way they can Pay Hamels, Vic, and Pence on top of what they have now. I don’t like the idea of Mayberry and Brown in the same lineup though. The bloom is off both of those roses.

• The Baseball Idiot - May 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM

If you could read, write, and speak English, your point would be much more valid.

• recoveringcubsfan - May 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I love that we’re discussing this like these dudes are a couple of hardasses when the story begins with Cliff Lee filing his nails. So very, very thug.

5. nickynick04 - May 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Brown in center…are you insane.
    He cannot hit in AAA…struck out 4 of his last 6 @ bat…grounded out the other 2..
    has an attitude and will sign autogeaphs for crying 6 yr olds
    He needs to mature first…then lrarn to bat…nit even mentioning his poor fielding….
    Brown is a Bust !

• drmonkeyarmy - May 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM

“has an attitude and will sign autographs for crying 6 yr olds” ?? That is a confusing blurb.

• natstowngreg - May 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM

My guess is “will” should have been “won’t.”

• hammyofdoom - May 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM

To cite his ineptitude you mentioned his last 6 at bats? Really? That’s like saying I’m a poor student because I got an F on my last home work assignment. If you had told me “He’s batting .231 with nearly zero power in AAA” that’s one thing. Just looking at career OPS in the minors, once he figures out a level he tends to dominate, but I’m not a phillie fan so I really dont know the kid much, I’ll leave it up to them to tell me whether or not he’s a stud or not

• hammyofdoom - May 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM

whether he’s a stud or not* uuugh

6. randygnyc - May 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I don’t think this is what Lee and halliday signed up for. Trade demands coming soon?????

• drmonkeyarmy - May 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

They are 4 games out. I think talk of their demise is a bit premature at this point.

7. leerosenthall - May 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I wonder if Lee still thinks about the play Victorino didn’t make during that 5-4 loss to the Cardinals in Game 2 of the NLDS series last year. It too turned into a triple, and gave the Cards the go-ahead run.
    Victorino makes that play 99 times out of 100, and then for some reason just wasn’t able to make it that night. Lee ends up giving up the go-ahead run as a result, which was the turning point in a very disappointing season for the Phils and probably caused Lee a lot of sleepless nights in the off season.

From ESPN’s summary of that game: “After chipping away for a few innings, the Cardinals took the lead in the seventh. Allen Craig led off with a triple off center fielder Shane Victorino’s glove. A three-time Gold Glove winner, Victorino misplayed the ball. He had to go a long way to make the catch, but overran it and the ball bounced off his glove.”

Lee wasn’t his best that night, but I’m not sure he deserved to lose that game on that play. If you couple that with how few runs the Phillies have scored for him this season, I can see where he might air his frustrations with Victorino last night.

8. thephilsabide - May 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Shane is a possible trade but no way the Phillies are trading Lee this year. They seem to be righting the ship slowly but surely anyway. If this keeps up they’ll be vying for 1st place in no time. Let’s wait for the time to come for them to actually be out of the race before we start talking fire sale antics.

9. flyinhighwithvick - May 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Where’s Craig on this? Maybe he’s off preparing an article about how the Braves lost 5 in a row.

10. schmedley69 - May 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM

The Phils are probably trying Brown in center to increase his trade value. Jayson Stark had this to say about Brown on the radio yesterday: “I’ve heard a lot of things about Dom Brown, none of them good.” It’s clear by now that Dom Brown is a colossal bust. The good news is that Freddy Galvis, who was not highly touted, looks like a gem. Dom Brown was the #1 prospect in all of baseball 2 years ago, and now he can’t even crack the major league roster. So much for prospect rankings. Pretty much meaningless.

11. journeyfan99 - May 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

So…..since trades were brought up… How about Trading Ryan Howard, move Chase to first and leave Freddie at 2nd. THEN maybe they can afford Cole and the 7yr/200 million dollar contract.

12. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM

At least Shane is not old like those Yankees Cliff turned down. After all, the Yankees are the ones who play in a tough division, with all those guys on the roster who might start breaking down.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2872)