Adam Jones: “I’m not from Baltimore, but this is my town”

May 27, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT

adam jones getty Getty Images

Good vibes were flowing through Camden Yards this morning during the official press conference for Adam Jones‘ new six-year, $85.5 million contract extension. Via MASN beat reporter Roch Kubatko:

“Everybody knows I’m not from Baltimore, but this is now my town,” Jones said. “You see a lot of different guys through free agency and go to other teams. I think me here, I fit here in this city, I fit here on this team, I fit in Camden Yards. I really don’t see myself wearing another white uniform that doesn’t have Orioles across the chest.”

Jones enters Sunday’s series finale against the Royals with a .309/.351/.597 batting line, 14 home runs, eight stolen bases and 31 RBI. Only 26 years old, he should remain a dynamic player throughout his new deal.

The Orioles are currently clinging to a one-game lead over the Rays at the top of the AL East standings.

1. Old Gator - May 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

All of a sudden, Peter Angelos is a genius.

Isn’t he?

2. pisano - May 27, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Yeah, for that money, hell would be my town

• craggt - May 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Stupid comment. If he had waited to hit the open market he probably would have gotten a $100M+ Contract, he gave the Os a pretty good discount.

• jayquintana - May 27, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Perhaps he and Jared Weaver saw too many players just go with the money and not what’s a good fit for them.

I bet Crawford wishes he took less money and stayed with the Rays.

3. giselleisasucubus - May 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Any jackasses want to question Duquette still? I was laughed on this site when I said this before- Duquette will build a winner. He knows the game and he knows talent. Who do you think brought Pedro Martinez to Montreal AND Boston?

• Old Gator - May 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM

True, but who’s the unimpeachable baseball genius who brought Duquette to Baltimore in the first place?

Come on now. Stop gagging and man up. Say it along with me: Peter….come on, come on…Peter….that’s a strange noise, “Ahhhnnnn…ahhhhnnnnn…ahhhhnnnn…” What is this, a Netflix download of The King’s Speech? Let’s go, all together now. Peter Ahhhnnnnn…Peter Ahhhhnnnng…annnggggg…annngellllll….Aw, no, I know you can do it. Peter Ahhhnnnngelllllloooohhhhhhsssss….

Bravo!

• chumthumper - May 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Even a blind squirrel finds and acorn once in a while.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - May 27, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Scroll down to like the 20th post, the one by RJ Anderson with the chart (the formatting will mess up, so just posting the link here) and tell me if you think all those hitters hitting well above their averages will sustain itself throughout the season?

• hammyofdoom - May 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Why all the thumbs down for the comment? Seriously, its a pretty informative graph with a large chunk of the hitters having career years if this continues.

• baseballisboring - May 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

He also managed to get his organization banned from an entire country. Trying to sign Jones to a long term deal is kind of a no-brainer. Good for the O’s, Duquette and Jones, but yes, I have NO problem with questioning Duquette at all.

• randomdigits - May 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

South Korea is only half a country.

• baseballisboring - May 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I never claimed to know basic facts any high schooler should know. Just saying, Duquette’s not gonna be very good.

4. mybrunoblog - May 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM

For $85.5 million I would call Bagdhad ” My town”…..

5. sabatimus - May 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Spoken like a true paycheck.

• baseballisboring - May 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM

No need to be all cynical about it. $85MM is a lot of money…but he could’ve gotten that somewhere else if he had waited a year or two (or however far he is from FA, too lazy to check). They’ve got a beautiful ballpark, surely he’s made a lot of friends on the team over the years, he’s been one of their better players for a while so I’m sure the fans have been good to him, and they’re actually winning for once. Shouldn’t be that hard to believe that he enjoys being there.

• sabatimus - May 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Oh please, I was being funny.

• baseballisboring - May 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Well, my comment was sorta more generally directed towards the inevitable people who are gonna say stuff like that and actually mean it. Tone is kinda hard to pick up on the internet.

• sabatimus - May 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

True. I guess I just didn’t put a smiley or whatever afterward.

6. idolized1 - May 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM

As a fan of the game, I am so glad they got this deal done.

Congratulations Orioles fans!

7. tomtravis76 - May 28, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Only one thing left to do for Adam before he can say its his town…let Baltimore fans know he has made the switch from being a Colts fan to a Ravens fan.

No way the Baltimore fan base would let him get away with wearing Colts gear like Boston let Brady slide wearing Yanks gear.

8. jimeejohnson - May 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Perhaps he’s an old time BALTIMORE Colts fan.

• brianjoates - May 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Johnny U …greatest QB of all time.

9. steve7921 - May 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

and BJ Upton says thank you very much Mr Jones…and announces that he will call whatever team’s town that offers him $100 million as his town!

10. ppdoc13 - May 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

As an Angelos basher for the better part of a decade, let me step up and give credit where it is due.

First and foremost credit goes to buck showalter for working hard to change the losing attitude in the lockerroom. The hardest thing to do in sports is to stop losing.

Second to Andy mcphail for helping lay SOME of the groundwork in improving the talent in the minors and for suckering the mariners into trading jones, sherril, and a host if others for Eric “no heart” Bedard.

Third and very importantly to Duquette for drastically overhauling the pitching staff in one season and for making the Guthrie for Hamel trade.

And finally a small portion of credit deservedly goes to Angelos for allowing his front office to do their job and spending a small portion of the hundreds of millions of dollars he has raked in on the MASN deal. All this fan base wanted was two easy things. One – a commitment from ownership to do what it takes to be competitive. Notice, I didn’t even say win. At this point after 15 years of losing baseball the fans are thrilled with competitive. Two – to have the team treat their fans with respect.

It finally looks like they MAY be fielding a competitive team. They still have a long way to go on number two. A nice start would be getting rid of the stupid policy to put an up charge on people who walk up to the gate to buy tickets. All it does is discourage people from coming. If the mkting depr had an ounce of sense and creativity, the would sell it as a price break for people who order the day before the game or online. But their marketing strategy is terrible.

Finally, having endured a decade and a half of losing baseball, I am still waiting for the roof to collapse. I would be thrilled if the orioles were playing meaningful baseball in August. All I really want is some hope foe the future so that my Kia will learn that the name orioles was synonymous with winning instead of being a constant joke of a professional team.

Peace.

Go Orioles!!!!!!!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3558)