May 27, 2012, 10:32 PM EDT
The setbacks continue for Freddy Sanchez.
According to CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly, Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced Sunday that the 34-year-old second baseman was given a second epidural in his ailing lower back a few days ago and remains shut down indefinitely.
“We’re not giving up on it,” Bochy told reporters on Sunday morning. “But it’s obviously a setback. We can’t tell you when he’ll be back on the field.”
Sanchez hasn’t appeared in a major league game since dislocating his right shoulder last June while diving for a ground ball. And it is now safe to wonder whether he’s going to be able to return this year.
San Francisco second basemen have combined for a brutal .198/.247/.215 batting line so far in 2012.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)