May 27, 2012, 10:32 PM EDT
The setbacks continue for Freddy Sanchez.
According to CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly, Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced Sunday that the 34-year-old second baseman was given a second epidural in his ailing lower back a few days ago and remains shut down indefinitely.
“We’re not giving up on it,” Bochy told reporters on Sunday morning. “But it’s obviously a setback. We can’t tell you when he’ll be back on the field.”
Sanchez hasn’t appeared in a major league game since dislocating his right shoulder last June while diving for a ground ball. And it is now safe to wonder whether he’s going to be able to return this year.
San Francisco second basemen have combined for a brutal .198/.247/.215 batting line so far in 2012.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (132)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)