May 27, 2012, 12:44 PM EDT
More positive health news for the Cardinals.
According to beat writer Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, center fielder Jon Jay will travel to the team’s spring training complex in Jupiter, Florida on Sunday evening and is scheduled to take live, on-field batting practice Monday.
If it goes well, a rehab assignment will soon follow.
Jay has been on the disabled list since May 15 with a sprained right shoulder, suffered on the play that is pictured in this post. He’s eligible to return May 30.
The 27-year-old was hitting .343/.395/.438 with two homers and 18 runs scored in 117 plate appearances before the DL stint, operating as an important table-setter for the National League’s best offense.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)