May 27, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
We knew this already, though, right?
With a man on in the top of the ninth, Detroit’s Miguel Cabrera took an 0-2 fastball from Matt Capps to dead center for his ninth homer Sunday, giving the Tigers a 4-3 lead they wouldn’t relinquish in a victory over the Twins.
It was the first blown save for Capps in 10 chances this year, so he didn’t really deserve the boos he received from the Target Field crowd. Sometimes you just get beat, and when it’s a talent like Cabrera administering the whipping, you shake your head and move on.
Of course, there’s plenty of lingering resentment in Minnesota over Capps’ 2011 performance. He blew nine saves in just 24 chances last year.
Cabrera’s homer capped a three-RBI day. He second in the AL with 40 RBI even though he hasn’t really gotten hot at any point yet this season. Indeed, his OPS is down about 150 points from where he finished 2010 and ’11.
The Tigers were in position to take the lead because of an outstanding leaping catch made by center fielder Quintin Berry to end the eighth, stranding an insurance run on third. Twins announcer Dick Bremer twice labeled it “one of the best catches you’ll ever see.” And the catch itself was outstanding. On the other hand, his jump off the bat and his route to the ball were anything but. A better center fielder likely would have made the play look a lot easier.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)