May 27, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
We knew this already, though, right?
With a man on in the top of the ninth, Detroit’s Miguel Cabrera took an 0-2 fastball from Matt Capps to dead center for his ninth homer Sunday, giving the Tigers a 4-3 lead they wouldn’t relinquish in a victory over the Twins.
It was the first blown save for Capps in 10 chances this year, so he didn’t really deserve the boos he received from the Target Field crowd. Sometimes you just get beat, and when it’s a talent like Cabrera administering the whipping, you shake your head and move on.
Of course, there’s plenty of lingering resentment in Minnesota over Capps’ 2011 performance. He blew nine saves in just 24 chances last year.
Cabrera’s homer capped a three-RBI day. He second in the AL with 40 RBI even though he hasn’t really gotten hot at any point yet this season. Indeed, his OPS is down about 150 points from where he finished 2010 and ’11.
The Tigers were in position to take the lead because of an outstanding leaping catch made by center fielder Quintin Berry to end the eighth, stranding an insurance run on third. Twins announcer Dick Bremer twice labeled it “one of the best catches you’ll ever see.” And the catch itself was outstanding. On the other hand, his jump off the bat and his route to the ball were anything but. A better center fielder likely would have made the play look a lot easier.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)