Phillies admit Roy Halladay’s sore shoulder isn’t a new issue

May 27, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT

Roy Halladay Getty Images

After leaving Sunday’s game after two innings due to a sore shoulder, Roy Halladay said the pain dates back to Tuesday’s outing, a loss to the Nationals.

Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee, however, admitted it went back further than that.

“Yeah, it’s been an issue,” Dubee said. “It’s been there. It’s been lingering. Some days it’s better than others. Chicago [May 17] was better than others. Even the start of last game it was better and then got it cranky. Today, warming up, he felt fine, but as he got into the game and sat down and even before the first inning, it was just hard to get it going again.”

Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the full rundown, including some Roy Oswalt speculation, and it’s well worth checking out. For sure, it seems doubtful that Halladay will make his next start, and a 15-day DL stint would seem to be in the cards even if Halladay is likely to fight it.

1. jaysfan64 - May 27, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Maybe 2600+ career innings have caught up with him…sure hope not….

• eastcoastcynic - May 28, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Halladay has been pitching heavy innings every year for a while now. He’s not a young guy any more by Baseball standards. He’s about due for a physical breakdown.

2. jimw81 - May 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

It’s Salisbury not Salisburg. I think they were hiding something from spring training when he couldn’t hit 90mph.

• Matthew Pouliot - May 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Whoops. Thanks.

3. dawglb - May 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The man is a class act. I hope it is nothing serious, …..like the Phils or not.

• Charles Gates - May 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Agreed. I hate the Phils, but root for Halladay. Let’s hope he gets back soon.

4. njbucsfan - May 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM

The Phils are the one Philly team I actually like…with that said, I have never seen a window close so fast on a team. They got old very fast.

• Francisco (FC) - May 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Aside from Hamels they weren’t all that young to begin with. Utley, Rollins, Howard had already been there for a few years or started playing in MLB at an older age. If you consider 2007 as the starting point, it’s been 5 years already for a team whose best players were already around 27-28. Without renewing some pieces along the way this is what you get.

5. randygnyc - May 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM

He hasn’t been right all year.

6. haligert - May 28, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Doc is a professional and a “work horse”. Please take care of yourself Doc as we all look forward to seeng a healthy Doc back on the mound.

7. mungman69 - May 28, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Yea, take a break Doc.

8. therealtrenches - May 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I’m a die hard fan of all 4 Philly teams, in my 40s. Do the math. I’ve seen a lot of good, bad, and ugly.

And in that time, I have never seen a phillies pitcher I respect more than Doc (and I’m including Carlton in that statement). I hope he heals fast!

I have also never seen the fan base as thin-skinned as it has been at the suggestion that since 09, this team has been getting old fast. “It’s going to be a dynasty!” they’d say. “You’re a hater!” they’d say. Well, we’ve been getting further from the chalice each year since 08, and the young prospects are not exactly stepping up. Where’s the dynasty now? I’m not hating. I’m just telling it like it is.

9. cur68 - May 28, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Well, crap. Get well soon, Big Roy, and get your fastball back to 94mph where it belongs.

One good thing: it wasn’t an injured Bicept, at least. That would really sting.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet