May 27, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
Halladay gave up a grand slam to Yadier Molina in the first inning of the contest. He rebounded to work a perfect second inning, but Pete Orr was sent up to pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the inning. St. Louis went on to win the game 8-3.
The Phillies said removing Halladay was a precautionary measure. He’ll be re-evaluated in the next couple of days. No MRI is planned, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com.
If Halladay lands on the DL, it’d be his first trip there as a member of the Phillies. He spent 16 days on the DL with the Blue Jays in 2009 due to a groin strain. The last time he went on the DL with an arm problem was 2004, when he missed two months with a shoulder strain.
Halladay was coming off a loss to Washington in which he gave up five runs in six innings. Including the slam today, he’s given up five homers in his last three starts, covering 16 innings. Last year, he surrendered a total of 10 homers in 233 2/3 innings. Given his diminished velocity and occasionally diminished movement, it’d come as no surprise to learn that his shoulder has been barking for a while now.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)