May 27, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
Halladay gave up a grand slam to Yadier Molina in the first inning of the contest. He rebounded to work a perfect second inning, but Pete Orr was sent up to pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the inning. St. Louis went on to win the game 8-3.
The Phillies said removing Halladay was a precautionary measure. He’ll be re-evaluated in the next couple of days. No MRI is planned, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com.
If Halladay lands on the DL, it’d be his first trip there as a member of the Phillies. He spent 16 days on the DL with the Blue Jays in 2009 due to a groin strain. The last time he went on the DL with an arm problem was 2004, when he missed two months with a shoulder strain.
Halladay was coming off a loss to Washington in which he gave up five runs in six innings. Including the slam today, he’s given up five homers in his last three starts, covering 16 innings. Last year, he surrendered a total of 10 homers in 233 2/3 innings. Given his diminished velocity and occasionally diminished movement, it’d come as no surprise to learn that his shoulder has been barking for a while now.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)