May 27, 2012, 6:40 PM EST
“I’m not sure it’s the same price for everyone, but I think he is looking for the biggest payday,” said the exec. “In the winter, proximity to home (in Weir, Mississippi) was most important. Now, it seems like it’s dollars.”
Oswalt was hoping to sign with either the Rangers or Cardinals this past offseason, but neither team made an offer to his liking.
And he’s now apparently looking to cash in without a real concern over where he lands. The Phillies, Rangers and Red Sox have worked him out recently, and the Dodgers, Brewers and Orioles have also been linked.
Oswalt, 34, posted a 3.69 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 93/33 K/BB ratio in 139 innings last year for Philadelphia.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 64
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 246
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (246)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (91)