May 27, 2012, 3:19 PM EST
It was the fifth time in his last six starts that Moyer failed to complete six innings. Aided by a weak schedule, he had a 2.28 ERA after four starts this season. However, he’s given up 28 runs in 30 innings since, taking his ERA up to 5.70.
For what it’s worth, Moyer is striking out 6.04 batters per nine innings this year, giving him his highest rate since 1998 and the third-highest of his career. He might yet be an adequate fifth starter, at least for a team in a more forgiving ballpark. There just isn’t much upside here, though, and the Rockies may soon want to give Drew Pomeranz another look. Things will get particularly crowded if both Jorge De La Rosa (elbow) and Jhoulys Chacin (shoulder) can return in the second half of next month.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)