May 27, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
From Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle comes word that A’s outfielder Yoenis Cespedes took batting practice on the field Saturday and is on track to return to the Oakland lineup this Friday.
Cespedes has been on the disabled list since May 7 with a strained muscle in his left hand. He’ll take batting practice again Sunday before embarking on a short rehab assignment with Triple-A Sacramento.
Cespedes, 26, is batting .245/.319/.434 with five homers, 21 RBI and four stolen bases through the first 119 plate appearances of his major league career. He signed a four-year, $36 million contract this winter.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)