May 27, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT
From Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle comes word that A’s outfielder Yoenis Cespedes took batting practice on the field Saturday and is on track to return to the Oakland lineup this Friday.
Cespedes has been on the disabled list since May 7 with a strained muscle in his left hand. He’ll take batting practice again Sunday before embarking on a short rehab assignment with Triple-A Sacramento.
Cespedes, 26, is batting .245/.319/.434 with five homers, 21 RBI and four stolen bases through the first 119 plate appearances of his major league career. He signed a four-year, $36 million contract this winter.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)