May 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
On the disabled list with a left leg contusion, Chipper Jones underwent a minor surgical procedure over the weekend to remove 120 ccs of fluid from a hematoma.
“I feel so much better now,” Jones told Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “It was throbbing. It let me know with everything that I did. Now, we’ve relieved a lot of the pressure down there and I can’t feel my heartbeat [in the ankle] anymore.
According to Jones, doctors informed him that it was necessary to remove the fluid or he risked aggravating the injury with any contact to the area and his return could have been delayed if it didn’t heal quick enough on its own.
Jones is eligible to come off the disabled list on June 8 and for now at least is hoping to be cleared to return by then, but he’s essentially been out since May 19.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 59
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (132)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)