May 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
On the disabled list with a left leg contusion, Chipper Jones underwent a minor surgical procedure over the weekend to remove 120 ccs of fluid from a hematoma.
“I feel so much better now,” Jones told Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “It was throbbing. It let me know with everything that I did. Now, we’ve relieved a lot of the pressure down there and I can’t feel my heartbeat [in the ankle] anymore.
According to Jones, doctors informed him that it was necessary to remove the fluid or he risked aggravating the injury with any contact to the area and his return could have been delayed if it didn’t heal quick enough on its own.
Jones is eligible to come off the disabled list on June 8 and for now at least is hoping to be cleared to return by then, but he’s essentially been out since May 19.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 64
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 46
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)