May 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
On the disabled list with a left leg contusion, Chipper Jones underwent a minor surgical procedure over the weekend to remove 120 ccs of fluid from a hematoma.
“I feel so much better now,” Jones told Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “It was throbbing. It let me know with everything that I did. Now, we’ve relieved a lot of the pressure down there and I can’t feel my heartbeat [in the ankle] anymore.
According to Jones, doctors informed him that it was necessary to remove the fluid or he risked aggravating the injury with any contact to the area and his return could have been delayed if it didn’t heal quick enough on its own.
Jones is eligible to come off the disabled list on June 8 and for now at least is hoping to be cleared to return by then, but he’s essentially been out since May 19.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17