May 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
On the disabled list with a left leg contusion, Chipper Jones underwent a minor surgical procedure over the weekend to remove 120 ccs of fluid from a hematoma.
“I feel so much better now,” Jones told Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “It was throbbing. It let me know with everything that I did. Now, we’ve relieved a lot of the pressure down there and I can’t feel my heartbeat [in the ankle] anymore.
According to Jones, doctors informed him that it was necessary to remove the fluid or he risked aggravating the injury with any contact to the area and his return could have been delayed if it didn’t heal quick enough on its own.
Jones is eligible to come off the disabled list on June 8 and for now at least is hoping to be cleared to return by then, but he’s essentially been out since May 19.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)