May 28, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
On the disabled list with a left leg contusion, Chipper Jones underwent a minor surgical procedure over the weekend to remove 120 ccs of fluid from a hematoma.
“I feel so much better now,” Jones told Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “It was throbbing. It let me know with everything that I did. Now, we’ve relieved a lot of the pressure down there and I can’t feel my heartbeat [in the ankle] anymore.
According to Jones, doctors informed him that it was necessary to remove the fluid or he risked aggravating the injury with any contact to the area and his return could have been delayed if it didn’t heal quick enough on its own.
Jones is eligible to come off the disabled list on June 8 and for now at least is hoping to be cleared to return by then, but he’s essentially been out since May 19.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 42
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (103)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional