May 28, 2012, 5:58 PM EDT
An Adam Dunn homer, his 16th of the year, was responsible for both White Sox runs.
Sale, a first-round pick out of Florida Gulf Coast University in 2010, had family and friends in attendance for the game in St. Pete.
The 15 strikeouts matched the major league high for 2012 set by Max Scherzer against the Pirates on May 20.
The Rays kept the game close and got 10 strikeouts from their own starter, Matt Moore, in a losing cause. Today’s game was the first of the season to feature two starters with double-digit strikeouts. It happened twice last season. Arizona’s Ian Kennedy struck out 10 and Philadelphia’s Cliff Lee K’d 12 on April 25, 2011. San Francisco’s Tim Lincecum and Florida’s Javier Vazquez both fanned 10 on Aug. 13.
Sale is 3-1 with a 1.82 ERA in four starts since the White Sox aborted his move to the bullpen and the closer’s role earlier this month. One still wonders if he’ll hold up physically, but the White Sox are certainly a whole lot better off right now with him starting and Addison Reed finishing up.
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 4
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (105)