May 28, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Rafael Dolis‘ reign as Cubs closer was short and ugly, and today the 24-year-old rookie was demoted back to the minors after being stripped of ninth-inning duties.
Dolis’ departure coincides with Carlos Marmol‘s sooner-than-expected return from a hamstring injury, as the Cubs deemed him ready to come off the DL after he tossed back-to-back scoreless innings on a rehab assignment at Triple-A.
In a dozen appearances since taking over for Marmol at the beginning of this month Dolis blew two of his five save chances while posting a 7.71 ERA in 11.2 innings, walking nine batters.
Chicago has so few save opportunities to go around that officially naming a closer isn’t exactly a top priority for manager Dale Sveum, but he indicated that James Russell will get first crack at the gig with Shawn Camp looming as another option. Of course, that was before Marmol returned from the DL and while he’ll start off in a middle relief role it’s not hard to see the Cubs turning back to him as closer.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)