May 28, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Rafael Dolis‘ reign as Cubs closer was short and ugly, and today the 24-year-old rookie was demoted back to the minors after being stripped of ninth-inning duties.
Dolis’ departure coincides with Carlos Marmol‘s sooner-than-expected return from a hamstring injury, as the Cubs deemed him ready to come off the DL after he tossed back-to-back scoreless innings on a rehab assignment at Triple-A.
In a dozen appearances since taking over for Marmol at the beginning of this month Dolis blew two of his five save chances while posting a 7.71 ERA in 11.2 innings, walking nine batters.
Chicago has so few save opportunities to go around that officially naming a closer isn’t exactly a top priority for manager Dale Sveum, but he indicated that James Russell will get first crack at the gig with Shawn Camp looming as another option. Of course, that was before Marmol returned from the DL and while he’ll start off in a middle relief role it’s not hard to see the Cubs turning back to him as closer.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 16
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 24
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 37
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL