May 28, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
Another day, another Cardinals injury.
As first reported by Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, third baseman David Freese is not in the starting lineup Monday afternoon against the Braves due to discomfort in his right hand and wrist.
Freese suffered bruising and a mild sprain Saturday while diving for balls along the third base line. He was able to play Sunday but struck out twice and walked once in three plate appearances against the Phillies.
Daniel Descalso is handling third base in his absence on Monday. The hope is that Freese, who has an .835 OPS, 10 home runs and 33 RBI in 44 games this year, will be ready to rock after a day or two of rest.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)