May 28, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Another day, another Cardinals injury.
As first reported by Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, third baseman David Freese is not in the starting lineup Monday afternoon against the Braves due to discomfort in his right hand and wrist.
Freese suffered bruising and a mild sprain Saturday while diving for balls along the third base line. He was able to play Sunday but struck out twice and walked once in three plate appearances against the Phillies.
Daniel Descalso is handling third base in his absence on Monday. The hope is that Freese, who has an .835 OPS, 10 home runs and 33 RBI in 44 games this year, will be ready to rock after a day or two of rest.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 112
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)