May 28, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
Another day, another Cardinals injury.
As first reported by Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, third baseman David Freese is not in the starting lineup Monday afternoon against the Braves due to discomfort in his right hand and wrist.
Freese suffered bruising and a mild sprain Saturday while diving for balls along the third base line. He was able to play Sunday but struck out twice and walked once in three plate appearances against the Phillies.
Daniel Descalso is handling third base in his absence on Monday. The hope is that Freese, who has an .835 OPS, 10 home runs and 33 RBI in 44 games this year, will be ready to rock after a day or two of rest.
- Report: Starlin Castro detained in connection with shooting in Dominican Republic 4
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (243)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)