May 28, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT
Freddie Freeman‘s eye problems have not gotten any better and in fact the Braves first baseman has reacted poorly to multiple sets of contact lenses, so he’s ordered some prescription sports goggles and Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that that he’ll be examined tomorrow by a specialist.
Freeman has been battling blurred vision and dry eyes, and he’s unable to simply wear traditional glasses to the plate because it hurts his peripheral vision too much.
He initially suffered corneal abrasions during a series in Colorado that featured windy conditions and Rogers reports that his vision has deteriorated since then, going “from a prescription of 1.5 diopters in both eyes to 1.75 in his left and 2.0 in his right.”
Freeman wore contacts and played Friday, but went 0-for-5 with three strikeouts and hasn’t played since, although he remains on the active roster. He may eventually consider Lasik surgery, although Rogers notes that it isn’t recommended for people with dry eyes.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 1
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful