May 28, 2012, 11:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: The diagnosis is in and it’s not good. According to Mike Vassallo, the Brewers’ director of media relations, Lucroy has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a boxer’s fracture of the right hand.
Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that he’ll be sidelined for the next four to six weeks. Brutal news.
7:32 PM: This is not a joke, Brewers fans.
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Jonathan Lucroy was sent for X-rays after injuring his right hand in a freak accident. Lucroy said he suffered the injury when he reached down under his hotel room bed last night for a lost sock and his wife adjusted a suitcase, which fell on his hand. Seriously.
Lucroy reported to Dodger Stadium to attempt to take some swings, but he shut things down after it became apparent that his hand was too bruised for him to grip the bat properly. The injury-riddled Brewers are currently crossing their fingers for some rare good news. George Kottaras, who had some cramping in his hamstring yesterday, will start behind the plate tonight.
Lucroy is off to a fantastic start this season, batting .345/.387/.583 with five home runs, 30 RBI and a .969 OPS in 151 plate appearances. The 25-year-old is hitting a cool .388 this month.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)