May 28, 2012, 11:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: The diagnosis is in and it’s not good. According to Mike Vassallo, the Brewers’ director of media relations, Lucroy has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a boxer’s fracture of the right hand.
Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that he’ll be sidelined for the next four to six weeks. Brutal news.
7:32 PM: This is not a joke, Brewers fans.
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Jonathan Lucroy was sent for X-rays after injuring his right hand in a freak accident. Lucroy said he suffered the injury when he reached down under his hotel room bed last night for a lost sock and his wife adjusted a suitcase, which fell on his hand. Seriously.
Lucroy reported to Dodger Stadium to attempt to take some swings, but he shut things down after it became apparent that his hand was too bruised for him to grip the bat properly. The injury-riddled Brewers are currently crossing their fingers for some rare good news. George Kottaras, who had some cramping in his hamstring yesterday, will start behind the plate tonight.
Lucroy is off to a fantastic start this season, batting .345/.387/.583 with five home runs, 30 RBI and a .969 OPS in 151 plate appearances. The 25-year-old is hitting a cool .388 this month.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)