May 28, 2012, 11:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: The diagnosis is in and it’s not good. According to Mike Vassallo, the Brewers’ director of media relations, Lucroy has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a boxer’s fracture of the right hand.
Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that he’ll be sidelined for the next four to six weeks. Brutal news.
7:32 PM: This is not a joke, Brewers fans.
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Jonathan Lucroy was sent for X-rays after injuring his right hand in a freak accident. Lucroy said he suffered the injury when he reached down under his hotel room bed last night for a lost sock and his wife adjusted a suitcase, which fell on his hand. Seriously.
Lucroy reported to Dodger Stadium to attempt to take some swings, but he shut things down after it became apparent that his hand was too bruised for him to grip the bat properly. The injury-riddled Brewers are currently crossing their fingers for some rare good news. George Kottaras, who had some cramping in his hamstring yesterday, will start behind the plate tonight.
Lucroy is off to a fantastic start this season, batting .345/.387/.583 with five home runs, 30 RBI and a .969 OPS in 151 plate appearances. The 25-year-old is hitting a cool .388 this month.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)