May 28, 2012, 11:48 PM EST
UPDATE: The diagnosis is in and it’s not good. According to Mike Vassallo, the Brewers’ director of media relations, Lucroy has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a boxer’s fracture of the right hand.
Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that he’ll be sidelined for the next four to six weeks. Brutal news.
7:32 PM: This is not a joke, Brewers fans.
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Jonathan Lucroy was sent for X-rays after injuring his right hand in a freak accident. Lucroy said he suffered the injury when he reached down under his hotel room bed last night for a lost sock and his wife adjusted a suitcase, which fell on his hand. Seriously.
Lucroy reported to Dodger Stadium to attempt to take some swings, but he shut things down after it became apparent that his hand was too bruised for him to grip the bat properly. The injury-riddled Brewers are currently crossing their fingers for some rare good news. George Kottaras, who had some cramping in his hamstring yesterday, will start behind the plate tonight.
Lucroy is off to a fantastic start this season, batting .345/.387/.583 with five home runs, 30 RBI and a .969 OPS in 151 plate appearances. The 25-year-old is hitting a cool .388 this month.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)