Rays expected to add Hideki Matsui to roster tomorrow

May 28, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT

Hideki Matsui Reuters Reuters

While the Athletics plan to give Manny Ramirez more time in the minors to get tuned up for major league pitching, the Rays are going a different route with Hideki Matsui.

According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, Matsui is expected to be added to the Rays’ roster tomorrow. It’s a bit of a surprise to see him join the big league club so quickly, as he’s hitting just .170 (8-for-47) with two doubles, four RBI and a 10/4 K/BB ratio over 13 games with Triple-A Durham.

Of course, the Rays don’t have much to lose if Matsui turns out to be a bust, as he’s set to make a prorated salary of around $900,000 when he is added to the major league roster. The 38-year-old figures to share at-bats with Luke Scott out of the designated hitter spot.

Matsui batted .251/.321/.375 with 12 home runs, 72 RBI and a .696 OPS in 141 games with the Athletics last season.

1. Old Gator - May 28, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Has Luke Scott begun insisting that Matsui was born in Japan yet?

2. maximusprime107 - May 29, 2012 at 3:37 AM

He really has fallen off a cliff what a shame. He was one of my favorite players in my younger days

3. jwbiii - May 29, 2012 at 5:22 AM

In related news, Vlad Guerrero went 2 for 5 with a HR in his debut with the Dunedin Blue Jays.

4. acdc363 - May 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Go go Godzilla!

• Old Gator - May 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

You want gogo Godzilla? I got you gogo Godzilla:

Churchill couldn’t dance. Godzilla could dance!

5. pisano - May 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

The guy was great for the Yankees, but it hasn’t been good since. I really don’t understand the move, they already have Luke Scott from the left side.

• brucewaynewins - May 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

My guess is $. I assume they’re making a killing off advertisements from Japanese companies running ads during games because of Matsui. I don’t live in Oakland but everytime I saw them on tv last year they had a ton of ads in Japanese.

• pisano - May 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

You may have hit the nail on the head.

• brucewaynewins - May 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM

It’d be interesting to see some numbers on what a team pulls in from ads like that when they get a player like Matsui, Ichirio, Darvish, etc.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey