May 28, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT
The market for free agent right-hander Roy Oswalt is beginning to heat up.
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, the Dodgers have made an offer to Oswalt. The specific terms of the offer aren’t yet known, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported yesterday that the Dodgers checked in on Oswalt and considered his asking price — a pro-rated $7.5 million — to be “excessive.”
The Rangers are believed to be Oswalt’s preferred destination, but Rosenthal was told that he is looking for “the biggest payday.” This is quite a contrast to the offseason, where proximity to his home state of Mississippi was of greater importance. That’s presumably less of a concern now that he’ll only be playing half a season.
Oswalt recently threw for the Phillies, Rangers and Red Sox while the Brewers and Orioles have also been mentioned as possibilities. Upon signing a contract, he’ll likely need around a month before he’s major-league ready.
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Dodgers made their offer a while ago and that the two sides were very far apart. He pegs the Rangers as the favorites.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)