May 28, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
As expected, Jason Marquis and his $3 million salary went unclaimed on waivers after being designated for assignment last week and the Twins released the veteran right-hander.
I’m sure Marquis will be able to snag at least a minor-league contract somewhere and he might even have some modest success returning to the National League eventually, but it’s difficult to overstate just how awful he was with the Twins.
He made seven starts, posting an 8.47 ERA and allowing 33 runs in 34 innings with more walks than strikeouts and nine homers. Opponents hit .371 with a .434 on-base percentage and .629 slugging percentage off him and dating back to August 1 of last season Marquis has given up 49 runs in 45 innings.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 40
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 44
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months