And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

May 29, 2012, 5:47 AM EDT

Chicago White Sox  v Tampa Bay Rays Getty Images

White Sox 2, Rays 1: Chris Sale: 15Ks and three hits in seven and a third. Adam Dunn hit a two-run homer.

Red Sox 7, Tigers 4Jim Leyland said that we saw what we saw and should write what we saw, so let’s do that: The Red Sox’ second inning rally never should have happened but did because with two outs, the umpire said that Mike Aviles hit a foul tip that the catcher didn’t catch. Except replays showed it was a clean swing and miss that was caught. So, per Jim Leyland’s instructions, let us have some sort of robot/cyborg/android umpires now. That aside, Doug Fister did get beat up a bit, which serves him right for me having the parody song “Hey Doug Fister” in my head all weekend. It wasn’t his fault, but it makes wish I had actual Train songs in my head.

Indians 8, Royals 5: Jose Lopez and Jason Kipnis combined for five RBI, which is exactly how we expected the middle of the Indians order to roll this season.

Cubs 11, Padres 7: The Cubs’ losing streak finally ends with an offensive ‘aslposin. Three RBI a piece for Starlin Castro, Alfonso Soriano and Ian Stewart. Big winds blowing out helped the teams combine for eight home runs. Chase Headley had two of ‘em.

Rockies 9, Astros 7; Rockies 7, Astros 6Wandy Rodriguez had been pitching really well. I guess all good things must come to an end, because he got tattooed in the early game of the twin bill (5 IP, 10H, 7 R, 4 ER). In the late game, Dexter Fowler tripled home Michael Cuddyer in the 10th. Fourteen pitchers were used between the teams in the nightcap.

Giants 4, Diamondbacks 2: Barry Zito, seven innings, seven hits two earned runs. Gregor Blanco doubled twice. It was Kirk Gibson’s 55th birthday yesterday. On Sunday it as Siouxsie Sioux’s 55th birthday. Why I knew both of those things is a mystery to me too.

Pirates 4, Reds 1: James McDonald pitched eight five-hit shutout innings. How the Pirates are at .500 with their cruddy offense is beyond me, but there they are.

Twins 5, Athletics 4: Justin Morneau drove in a couple, Joe Mauer went two for three and scored twice and Matt Capps got a save despite being greeted into the game by a chorus of boos. Just like the season was supposed to go.

Marlins 5, Nationals 3: Logan  Morrison and Giancarlo Stanton homered, Carlos Zambrano pitched six strong innings and Heath Bell got a 1-2-3 save. Just like the season was supposed to go.

Phillies 8, Mets 4: Ty Wigginton drove in six and Cole Hamles won his eighth.

Cardinals 8, Braves 2: Lance Lynn also won his eighth. Matt Adams drove in three. And the Braves will apparently never win a game again. They have fallen all the way from first to last place in a little more than a week.

Rangers 4, Mariners 2: Mike Napoli with a three-run homer and Matt Harrison with eight strong innings.

Blue Jays 6, Orioles 2Drew Hutchison struck out nine in seven shutout innings and the Jays snapped their losing streak. the Orioles have lost three in a row and six of eight. For all the drama in the AL East this year, it’s still anyone’s division.

Brewers 3, Dodgers 2: The game was interesting, but to me the most interesting part was hearing Vin Scully explain how home plate umpire Brian Gorman’s father — also an umpire — was buried in full umpire regalia with a ball-strike counter in his hand, set to 3-2. I’m sure that’s not proprietary information, but I’m also sure that only Vin Scully is gonna talk about that stuff during a game. And it’s awesome. Oh, and Jerry Hairston is hitting .394/.474/.530 in 66 plate appearances. The most useful bench dude in the majors this year?

Angels 9, Yankees 8: Picked a wrong morning to have to wake up for an early as hell flight, because it meant I didn’t stay up to watch Mark Trumbo hit a walkoff homer to end this wild one. The Angels blew a three-run lead and suffered the early loss of Jered Weaver to win their seventh straight. Perseverance? I think so. And definitely a team turning things around.

1. proudlycanadian - May 29, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Yesterday, the Jays played at home on Memorial Day which is not a Canadian holiday. Last week, the Jays were on the road on Victoria Day which is a Canadian holiday. July 1 is a Canadian holiday, yet the Jays are sometimes on the road on that day. I wish that the schedule makers would take advantage of Canada’s different holiday schedule and let the team play at home on our holidays that are not shared with the US. There is a precedent, as the Red Sox always play at home on Patriot’s Day.

• detroitfanatic - May 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Little known fact:

The Rangers never play at home on MLKJ day. It was an idea born by Gov Rick Perry while visiting “Nigger Head”, his private gun club, and later enacted by the legislature while he was winning GOP presidential polls.

• aceshigh11 - May 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

THAT’S a bit much for this board, wouldn’t you say?

• Roger Moore - May 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM

The schedule makers aren’t making the schedules in a vacuum; they actually ask the teams if there are specific dates they’d like to have as home games and try to accommodate them. Part of what’s happening is that teams don’t necessarily want the home dates you’d expect them to want. I remember that the Twins used to ask not to have Memorial day and Independence Day as home dates because they thought fans would prefer to be outside enjoying the nice weather rather than hanging out in the Humptydome. Maybe the Blue Jays have the same idea.

2. proudlycanadian - May 29, 2012 at 6:22 AM

The big spending Angels and the Red Sox have finally evened their won/loss records. The big spending (Fielder) Tigers remain below the .500 mark. So far, a big payroll has not been rewarded by a lot of success on the field.

• Jack Marshall - May 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Just wait.

3. paperlions - May 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM

I made my first trip to Fenway yesterday to see the Red Sox – Tigers game. I don’t know that I would say I was disappointed, but well….to me…it was just another ball park. The whole “America’s most beloved ballpark” think (and yes, they say that over the loud speakers and have signs telling you that everywhere) is pretty silly. Yeah, the seats were old, crappy, small, and uncomfortable…wasn’t a big deal. Yeah, the sight lines kind of suck, wasn’t a big deal. There weren’t many facilities (so you had to walk a little), but there was never a wait. The new electronic boards that use the old scoreboard motif are cool. The monster seats look very cool. There is advertising on just about every flat surface in the place, which does kill a lot of the feel of the park.

I fully approve of the ball park food served there, brats, dogs, popcorn, pretzels, and other typical traditional ball park food….you know…things that can be made well at a ball park and eaten while sitting in a tiny wooden seat…..not a lot of the silly things you see done horribly attempted at other parks. There were no beer men…you had to leave your seat for one, and there was only one size of been (small)…that is probably my biggest complaint.

The fans were fine. Generally courteous and just there to happily root on the Red Sox. Lots of Tigers fans in Tigers gear, didn’t see or hear a single taunt. The crowd was so monocromatic, I half expected a hockey game to be played. The lameness that is the singing of sweet can only be fully appreciated live. Just goes to show you that making a song from the 60s a tradition in the late 90s is going to lead to something embarrassing.

There was a guy in the row in front of us with his 4 kids (ages 5-9 or so) that he was indoctrinating into the love of all things baseball and Red Sox. At one point, one kid asked how long they have been playing baseball. Answer: “A long time, since the 1920s, I think, maybe longer.” Yeah, the guy was wearing a Red Sox jersey with a “Fenway Park 100 years” patch on it. That was fun.

• jarathen - May 29, 2012 at 7:47 AM

In my one trip to Fenway, aside from some annoyed looks that I was rooting for the Twins (because I’m an Angels fan, and I can’t root for the Red Sox), the fans at Fenway were all nice and respectful. I feel like hometown fans often take a lot of flak, especially fans in “die-hard” areas, but I’ve got nothing but good things to say about Red Sox Nation.

• Jack Marshall - May 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM

It is, beyond question, my favorite place to be in the whole, wide world. Every inch of it, on the field and off, has a memory for me. I was there when Dick Radatz struck out Mantle, Maris and Skowron with the bases loaded; I was there when Jose Santiago beat the Twins on the way to a two game sweep that won the greatest pennant race of all time; when Tony C came back, when Teddy Ballgame finally tipped his hat, and when Smokey Joe threw out the first pitch. I was there when Fisk hit the pole, and when Yaz said goodbye, and hundreds of other times not as famous, but just as memorable, like the time Jim Lonborg returned from the minors and I found out that the beautiful girl sitting next to me who I had been explaining to who Lonborg was, why he was special and how much he meant to Sox fans was his fiancee.

If all a baseball park is to you is food, bathrooms, electronic scoreboards and beer men, yeah, they are all pretty much the same. And the Gettysburg battlefield is just a lot of hills and fields, too.

• paperlions - May 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Jack, when you haven’t been to a field before, all it can be to you is a place to watch a game. Hard to have memories if you haven’t been there, more so if you aren’t a Red Sox fan. No offense, but your memories will have no bearing on the enjoyment of a game there for someone that has never been to the park.

If you are comparing a baseball park, where almost nothing important happens, to a famous battle field….you probably need a large dose of perspective.

4. jarathen - May 29, 2012 at 7:47 AM

That Angels game was something else. I don’t put too much stock into terms like “momentum” or “narrative”, but what an amazing win. Angels and Yankees is always so much fun.

5. negrete42 - May 29, 2012 at 8:20 AM

TRUMBO TRUMBO TRUMBO

• Old Gator - May 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Dalton?

6. 4d3fect - May 29, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Trumbomb

7. paperlions - May 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Pujols is looking more like his old self these days, and I’m sure some people are attributing his early struggles, in part, to his lack of familiarity with AL pitching. Of course, this ignores the fact that he destroyed AL pitching during interleague play throughout his career, when he was at least as unfamiliar with AL pitching.

So….here’s a challenge to those of you that believe in this phenomenon. If you believe that a lack of familiarity with the pitching in an entire league can cause (or significantly contribute to) the struggles of an all-time great. How do you explain guys like Matt Adams (who only had 152 ABs above AA before being called up) hitting .386 with a .417 OBP and .617 SLG? Or Mike Trout hitting so well at 20 yrs of age, or Bryce Harper hitting so well at 19 yrs of age….after all, these guys aren’t only unfamiliar with AL or NL pitching….they are completely unfamiliar with MLB pitching. I’d love to hear an explanation.

• jeffthomasb - May 29, 2012 at 8:54 AM

There is no explanation. Pujols wasn’t struggling because of unfamiliarity with AL pitching. He was just struggling. There were so many other things pulling his mind a billion different ways that it’s no wonder he couldn’t hit anything. “I just signed a contract for HOW much?… Oh, crap, I missed that slider by a mile… I have HOW much pressure on me here in Anaheim?… Jeepers, that fastball went right by me… People are saying WHAT about me?… [Whiff]…” The guy was bound to get all that stuff out of his head and get locked in before too long, and lo and behold, here it is.

• ajcardsfan - May 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I had thought his struggling was due to a change in his hitting style. I thought I read somewhere how he was being more aggressive, which lead to swings at terrible throws. Now, why he was being more aggressive could be due to him trying to produce for his huge contract, or the hitting coach was him to. Who knows…

• paperlions - May 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM

People are throwing all kinds of things out there as excuses….the silliest were the “unfamiliar with AL pitching” and “AL pitching is tougher” narratives.

I think a lot of it was the pressure of the new city and new contract and the huge expectations….you can’t live up to 10 years of expectations in a single AB. That probably robbed him of some focus and got him thinking too much at the plate. Once he relaxes (which seems to have happened), he should be fine.

8. natstowngreg - May 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I will leave the book-length version of Nats-Marlins to Gator. Basically, Jordan Zimmerman had a bad inning and that was that. Carlos Zambrano labored mightily to get the win. He looked like he was going to collapse at any moment, even in the air-conditioned comfort of the Miami-Dade County Baseball Palace. Heath Bell retired the bottom of the Nats batting order without incident, which I guess is progress. Once again, the Nats win in Atlanta but have trouble winning in the Miami metropolitan area.

It took a few innings of observing the Baseball Palace on my high-definition idiot box for the right descriptor came to me. Garish. Guess that’s a good thing in South Florida.

I take back my previous description of that thing in LCF as a cheap imitation of a Carlos Santana album cover. Even calling it a cheap imitation defames a great musician. Though it certainly looks cheap.

• proudlycanadian - May 29, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Do not defame the cover of Abraxis, one of the great albums of all time.

• Old Gator - May 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM

And the guy could peg to second like a sonofabitch, too…

• Old Gator - May 29, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Tommy looks cheaper seen up close, especially from the side: a sequence of three huge day-glo wafers stacked one in front of the other, like, you know, huaffer theen meents. The good news is that the Iron Giant seems to have the range on it now, and it’s just a matter of time until he chips it down to an ugly Grand Guignol ruin.

Not much more to report except that Uncle Useless blasted out of his most recent extended ohfer (0-26) with a ringing ground ball single threaded between third and shortstop. Love waves from Buck’s blast are just now reaching the sensors at the Oolite Layer Monitoring Center in North Miami Beach. The Feesh’s parody catcher hiked his average to .164 but diving spiders are still catching all his air bubbles before they break the surface of Rio Mendoza. Of course, Chris (he lives!) Coghlan, going 0-2 with a sac, is down to .133 and makes Buck look like Paul Konerko. On the brighter side, Larry Beinfest said last year, before biting Tweeter’s tushy with a demotion to Nawlins, that “Logan Morrison is not a .248 hitter!” He was right. Tweeter is batting .241 but is slowly coming around, had a 2-4 day including a dinger, and might actually be tradeable for an impact player by the July deadline.

9. hittfamily - May 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM

That was quite a game played down in St Pete. Not much offense, but the pitching was outstanding. Matt Moore may have finally had a start to give him the confidence he needs to be what us Rays fans were expecting this year. Chris Sale and Matt Moore became the first left handed opposing starters to each k 10 since 1992.

With Hideki Matsui expected to be called up, I can’t help but feel some sort of move for a catcher, corner OF, or SS coming soon. Why else would an old left handed power bat be called up? They already have Pena, Scott, Joyce, Zobrist, and Brandon Allen to handle the righties. They need a right handed bat, because lefties are killing them. Jennings/Keppinger/Longoria are all on the DL. Upton, Zobrist, and Sean Rodriguez are their best RH bats, and 2 of them aren’t hitting .240. They need to get some offense.

BJ Upton is playing like an allstar, and Alex Cobb has picked up right where he left off last year. He and Matt Moore have made Jeff Niemann and Wade Davis very expendable. Matt Joyce will likely head to his second all star game, and Desmond Jennings is the future center fielder. Zobrist has too much value as a second baseman to waste him in right and continue to allow weak hitting utility men Will Rhymes, Drew Sutton, Elliot Johnson, Sean Rodriguez and Jeff Keppinger to continue trying to convince Joe Maddon they actually deserve to be major leaguers.

Luckily for the Rays, a lot of teams are in contention that aren’t supposed to be. The Nationals, Dodgers, Pirates, Mets, Cleveland and Baltimore are all teams in contention now, that haven’t been in a while. They will feel pressure from fans to improve, and that usually means buying expendable veterans. Hopefully the Rays can capitalize on this and improve the same dreadful positions us fans have seen as being dreadful since their Devil Rays days.

10. mungman69 - May 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I was at Fenway (the tickets cost a mint) and had a Ryan Howard shirt on. Someone behind me said, “Howard, that N_____”. It seemed that everyone else in the ballpark got on this guys case. A few fans even apologized to me. Good fans. But I still don’t like the Red Sox except for Ortiz.

11. uyf1950 - May 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Ugly, ugly, ugly Yankees/Angels game. That’s about all I can say.

12. APBA Guy - May 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Speaking of ugly, the A’s have lost 6 straight, with yesterdays loss in part attributable to Ryan Cook’s first rust-caked performance of the year, having gone 23 scoreless innings previously. Cook just could not locate, and the Twins wore him down until he surrendered a bloop double by Morneau that dropped a foot inside the left field line, far, far from any A’s fielder. This was after Norberto did what he does best, missing the zone with consistency, allowing the Twins back in the game.

Emergency starter and recent pick-up Travis Blackley (“Aussies are the new efficiency, trust me on that”-Mr. B. Beane, Great and Powerful) did creditably against the Twins. I would not like to see him pitch against a better hitting team for 5 innings, not that he would last that long. Stick-straight and 91 is no way to go through life.

Jarrod Parker against DeVries tonight. Another good chance to end this long losing streak.

Manny watch: 0-3 yesterday. Still not taking good swings. Not expected up on Wednesday when first available.

13. Chipmaker - May 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Trumbo finished a single short of the cycle. How could this NOT be the lead?

• natstowngreg - May 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM

East Coast Bias(tm), of course.

• jimbo1949 - May 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Evidently, he hit the dinger too soon.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS