Ballplayer turned deputy Kurt Abbott gets arrested for DUI

May 29, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT

Kurt Abbott

Kurt Abbott, a utilityman who played for five teams from 1993-2001, was arrested Saturday in Florida and charged with driving under the influence, WPTV.com reports.

OK, so that’s probably not HBT-worthy in itself, but one has to admit that it is pretty interesting that Abbott was arrested by a co-worker. Abbott is a deputy at the Martin County Sherriff’s office, where he has worked since 2006.

According to the police report, Abbott was weaving and drifted onto the shoulder several times while driving his truck. He was also traveling at more than 60 mph in a 45-mph zone. Furthermore, after refusing a sobriety test, he was aggressive and cursed at the booking staff at the jail.

Unfortunately, there’s no mugshot here for Abbott; apparently they don’t release one when a law enforcement offices is arrested. Thus the baseball card instead.

Abbott, 42, hit .256/.305/.423 with 63 homers in 702 major league games over nine seasons. He had his best year in 1995, when he hit 17 homers as the Marlins’ primary shortstop. He also hit .274/.315/.433 in 94 games for the World Series champion Marlins in 1997.

1. colehamelz - May 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Arresting a fellow peace officer?? Gotta follow the code, boys. Not cool. And definitely not Old School.

• proudlycanadian - May 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I think that some readers do not catch sarcasm very well.

• troy10 - May 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I don’t really think there was any sarcasm to be “caught”… I think he was serious.

2. jimmymarlinsfan - May 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I met Kurt back in the day, nice guy…hope he learns from this and gets some help

Good luck Kurt!

• Old Gator - May 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM

So did I, and I agree – very personable guy. That was a great year of Feesh baseball, too. Strange how some very nice people make such ugly, irascible drunks, though.

3. mybrunoblog - May 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Looks like they’ll be another World Series ring on the market soon. Those attorney bills are huge.

4. danmennella - May 30, 2012 at 6:46 AM

As a volunteer sheriff’s deputy, I’ve been doing surveillance for years. One time I suspected an ex-girlfriend of mine of cheating on me, so I tailed her for six nights straight. Turns out, she was — with a couple of guys, actually. So, mystery solved.

• dexterismyhero - May 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

And this has what to do with this story? Glad she was cheating on you I guess.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3510)