May 29, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
Kurt Abbott, a utilityman who played for five teams from 1993-2001, was arrested Saturday in Florida and charged with driving under the influence, WPTV.com reports.
OK, so that’s probably not HBT-worthy in itself, but one has to admit that it is pretty interesting that Abbott was arrested by a co-worker. Abbott is a deputy at the Martin County Sherriff’s office, where he has worked since 2006.
According to the police report, Abbott was weaving and drifted onto the shoulder several times while driving his truck. He was also traveling at more than 60 mph in a 45-mph zone. Furthermore, after refusing a sobriety test, he was aggressive and cursed at the booking staff at the jail.
Unfortunately, there’s no mugshot here for Abbott; apparently they don’t release one when a law enforcement offices is arrested. Thus the baseball card instead.
Abbott, 42, hit .256/.305/.423 with 63 homers in 702 major league games over nine seasons. He had his best year in 1995, when he hit 17 homers as the Marlins’ primary shortstop. He also hit .274/.315/.433 in 94 games for the World Series champion Marlins in 1997.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)