May 29, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
Kurt Abbott, a utilityman who played for five teams from 1993-2001, was arrested Saturday in Florida and charged with driving under the influence, WPTV.com reports.
OK, so that’s probably not HBT-worthy in itself, but one has to admit that it is pretty interesting that Abbott was arrested by a co-worker. Abbott is a deputy at the Martin County Sherriff’s office, where he has worked since 2006.
According to the police report, Abbott was weaving and drifted onto the shoulder several times while driving his truck. He was also traveling at more than 60 mph in a 45-mph zone. Furthermore, after refusing a sobriety test, he was aggressive and cursed at the booking staff at the jail.
Unfortunately, there’s no mugshot here for Abbott; apparently they don’t release one when a law enforcement offices is arrested. Thus the baseball card instead.
Abbott, 42, hit .256/.305/.423 with 63 homers in 702 major league games over nine seasons. He had his best year in 1995, when he hit 17 homers as the Marlins’ primary shortstop. He also hit .274/.315/.433 in 94 games for the World Series champion Marlins in 1997.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)