May 29, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
Kurt Abbott, a utilityman who played for five teams from 1993-2001, was arrested Saturday in Florida and charged with driving under the influence, WPTV.com reports.
OK, so that’s probably not HBT-worthy in itself, but one has to admit that it is pretty interesting that Abbott was arrested by a co-worker. Abbott is a deputy at the Martin County Sherriff’s office, where he has worked since 2006.
According to the police report, Abbott was weaving and drifted onto the shoulder several times while driving his truck. He was also traveling at more than 60 mph in a 45-mph zone. Furthermore, after refusing a sobriety test, he was aggressive and cursed at the booking staff at the jail.
Unfortunately, there’s no mugshot here for Abbott; apparently they don’t release one when a law enforcement offices is arrested. Thus the baseball card instead.
Abbott, 42, hit .256/.305/.423 with 63 homers in 702 major league games over nine seasons. He had his best year in 1995, when he hit 17 homers as the Marlins’ primary shortstop. He also hit .274/.315/.433 in 94 games for the World Series champion Marlins in 1997.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)