May 29, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
Good news here for the 22-27 Athletics.
According to MLB.com’s Jane Lee, right-hander Brandon McCarthy will be cleared to return to the A’s rotation on Saturday against the Royals if he makes it through a bullpen session Wednesday without feeling any abnormal pain or discomfort.
McCarthy has been on the 15-day disabled list since May 18 with a strained right (throwing) shoulder.
The 28-year-old has posted a stellar 2.95 ERA and 40/16 K/BB ratio in 58 innings (nine starts) this season.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)