May 29, 2012, 7:17 PM EST
While I’d recommend skipping the intro, the body of Tom Verducci’s latest work for Sports Illustrated is an incredible tale, that of former Twins and Yankees pitcher Dan Naulty. Among the things Naulty discusses are how steroids took him from 180 pounds to 240 and added 10 mph to his fastball, how the sexual abuse of a male coach and a female teacher affected his development and how alcoholism nearly led to him committing suicide.
Less enthralling but more baseball-related, Naulty notes the prayer meetings members of the Yankees held during the 1998 championship season. From the article:
Naulty was assigned a locker between relievers Mariano Rivera and Jason Grimsley, two of many devout Christians on the team, a group that also included Andy Pettitte, Joe Girardi, Mike Stanton and Chad Curtis. They would invite Naulty to what they called “daily devotionals,” gatherings in a dingy storage room in the bowels of Yankee Stadium to read Scripture and pray together. After a month or so, Naulty decided to join in.
… Naulty was shocked at the participants in the Yankees’ daily devotionals: star players with huge contracts. “I was just floored that people who made that much money needed God,” he says. “Why on earth would I need God when I was with the Yankees and I’ve got hundreds of thousands of dollars and I’ve got whatever I want?”
… Years later, Pettitte, Stanton and Grimsley, like Naulty, were named in the Mitchell Report. “Shocked,” Naulty says. “It would obviously contradict everything we believe as Christians. That was certainly shocking.”
Go and read the whole thing when you have 15-20 minutes. It’s well worth it.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)