May 29, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
One of the more notable early season memes/impressions/whatever has been this idea that Bobby Valentine is not particularly well-liked in the Boston Red Sox clubhouse. Some of it was based on some legitimate comments or events, a lot of it was based on our assumptions of what Valentine is like and how he may or may not mesh with a veteran team.
But there is a suggestion that if there was ever anything to the notion of Valentine angst, it’s changing. In the course of Joe McDonald’s story of the Red Sox’ turnaround (news flash: people feel better when they’re winning) we hear that David Ortiz called that now-famous team meeting specifically because Bobby V. was gettin’ beat up:
“I was feeling really bad about Bobby the way things were going and it was because I can see the frustration on his face … I saw his frustrations and I felt like [expletive],” added Ortiz.
Boston drama can be and quite often is overstated. But I don’t think that, in light of the departure of the well-loved Terry Francona, this sort of thing is insignificant.
(thanks to big leagues for the heads up)
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 8
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires