May 29, 2012, 3:49 PM EST
He’s considered day-to-day and it’s possible Pedroia could make an appearance off the bench, but in the meantime Nick Punto is starting at second base and batting ninth against Justin Verlander and the Tigers.
Pedroia had started each of the Red Sox’s first 48 games, hitting .295 with five homers and an .800 OPS.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)