May 29, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
I sometimes get confused with units of measurement. Yards? Feet? Meters? Hectares? Bushels? Pecks? It’s all so mystifying!
So imagine, if you will, that there is a unit of measurement that we can all agree on. Because it’s awesome. Ladies and gentlemen: the Altuve.
It’s pretty self explanatory. But, just by way of example, that home run that Giancarlo hit off Jamie Moyer last week? It traveled 80.86153846153847 Altuves.
I predict that our children will be learning this in school as a matter of routine by the end of the decade.
UPDATE: I did not know the provenance of the Altuve — just saw a link to it on Twitter — but commenter drkincaid enlightens us:
Mike Ferrin and Morgan Ensberg of XM MLB radio talked about the Altuve as a unit of measurement a lot last year and this year. Doesn’t look like they built the calculator, but they deserve props for popularizing (and maybe inventing) the unit of measurement. They’re also pretty good to listen to.
Yes, they are. Good work fellas.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)