Heyman: “folks” say that a Roy Oswalt deal is expected this week

May 29, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

roy oswalt ap AP

We heard yesterday that, despite an offer being on the table, the Dodgers and Roy Oswalt were “far apart” on a deal.  This morning Jon Heyman says, never fear, something will happen soon.

He cites “folks” — which are a really reliable source in my opinion — who believe that the deal will happen between Roy Oswalt and someone this week. Maybe some folks will sign him.

Where he signs is anyone’s guess. Apart from that Dodgers offer, there is reported interest from the Rangers, Orioles, Red Sox, Phillies and Brewers.

1. mybrunoblog - May 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Clearly a pissing match between Hardballtalk and Jon Heyman and that’s fine. I however would love to see you two discuss the whole thing in a live web chat. C,mon do it.

• okwhitefalcon - May 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Interesting..

Apparently Heyman has found time between pleasuring both Johnny Damon and Bobby V to talk to some “folks” about someone else.

Hell has frozen over.

• deathmonkey41 - May 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Deathcage match- more interesting than a webchat.

• Utley's Hair - May 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM

If Craig can’t make it, I nominate Murray Chass or Pedro Gomez as suitable stand-ins.

2. paperlions - May 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Haven’t “folks” been convinced that Roy was about to sign at least 1/2 dozen times the past 6 months….and that he was about to sign with at least 1/2 dozen different teams, most of which seem to have had no genuine interest?

• pellypell - May 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

It’s sort of like when I am at a red light and I keep saying, “greeeeennnnnnn…. NOW”, I eventually get it right and my 3 year thinks I am a genius.

3. Gobias Industries - May 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I just spoke with my folks. Mom and dad both deny that Oswalt is going to sign this week. Heyman must be mistaken.

4. proudlycanadian - May 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM

“Folks” is plural, so Heyman is implying that he has more than 1 source of gossip. If it was “reliable sources”, I would be more impressed.

• Utley's Hair - May 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

What about “reliable folks” or “folksy sources?”

• proudlycanadian - May 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Both sound OK to me, but they do not seem to describe Heyman.

• heyblueyoustink - May 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Imagine all the information one could get at a reliable folk festival.

5. heyblueyoustink - May 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I was unaware my folks had access to such information. I shall beat that father of mine one day for this.

• Utley's Hair - May 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Does he admit to being your father?

• heyblueyoustink - May 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Good point, hmmm, mybe Heyman is my father then?

• Utley's Hair - May 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Would you admit to being related to him?

• heyblueyoustink - May 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

” I shall beat that father of mine one day for this”

It would have it’s benefits, you see.

• Utley's Hair - May 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM

(And I’ll try to reply this way, since a direct reply is off into the abyss…)

Even with a nice benefit such as that, admitting to being related to Heyman is a pretty steep price to pay.

6. Utley's Hair - May 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

But are they mysterious folks?

7. stairwayto7 - May 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Redsox, Phillies and Brewers are nto going anywhere so cross them off!

• aceshigh11 - May 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM

It was reported last week that Oswalt is now looking for the maximum payday as opposed to pitching for a contender, so if those teams pony up the cash, he may very well be willing to play ball (so to speak).

• hammyofdoom - May 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

The Phillies are 4 games back with all their injuries. The Red Sox are 4.5 games back with all their injuries. I think they are slightly better than “going anywhere”. Plus, Oswalt just wants money, which is okay

8. number42is1 - May 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Mystery team! Mystery Team! MYSTERY TEAM!

9. hittfamily - May 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM

My source, Charlie Manuel, said that it is the Yumiyori Giants, and that he will sign along with famed Japanes pitcher, Kobayashi.

10. annaalamode - May 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM

What about peeps? Or the crew? The hoi polloi? What are they saying about the Oswalt deal?

11. aceshigh11 - May 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Are these the same “folks” that “blue-collar everyman” Bilge O’Reilly speaks for every night on his eponymous news show?

12. delawarephilliesfan - May 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

“He cites “folks” — which are a really reliable source in my opinion”

As a victim of Craigs trolling, I love to Heyman has again got Craig to take the bait.

13. snowbirdgothic - May 29, 2012 at 11:48 AM

“Folks” say Oswalt’s going to sign soon. On the other hand, “fellas” say he’s holding out until after St. Louis gets a better look at Chris Carpenter, “lads” say he’s ditching baseball to try out for Wolverhampton in the EPL, and “dudes” say that they’re totally bummed because that rug really pulled the room together.

14. flyinhighwithvick - May 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Where’s the article about the Braves 8 game losing streak? And how Philadelphia fans are somehow to blame for such a streak?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5079)