May 29, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
7:15 p.m. EDT update: Now it’s officially official, apparently. The Angels have once again announced that Weaver has been placed on the DL and Richards has been called up.
6:30 p.m. EDT update: The Angels have asked reporters to disregard the release they sent out announcing that Weaver was placed on the DL and Garrett Richards was recalled. Apparently, they’re still deliberating the move.
Those fearing a serious knee injury for Jered Weaver last night got some good news, but the Angels ace wasn’t able to avoid the disabled list on Tuesday. The Angels deactivated him due to what was termed a lower back strain and spasms.
Weaver was off to a 6-1 start with a 2.61 ERA this season. It’s the first time in five years that he has gone on the DL. He last missed time in April 2007 due to biceps tendinitis.
In a minor surprise, replacing Weaver on the roster is Garrett Richards. Richards was the expected choice to take Weaver’s place in the rotation this weekend, but it figured the Angels would call up a reliever until then. Instead, they apparently want Richards available out of the bullpen tonight in case they need a long man. Since the Angels needed nine innings from their bullpen Monday, they’ll be limited in what they have available tonight.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)