May 29, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
7:15 p.m. EDT update: Now it’s officially official, apparently. The Angels have once again announced that Weaver has been placed on the DL and Richards has been called up.
6:30 p.m. EDT update: The Angels have asked reporters to disregard the release they sent out announcing that Weaver was placed on the DL and Garrett Richards was recalled. Apparently, they’re still deliberating the move.
Those fearing a serious knee injury for Jered Weaver last night got some good news, but the Angels ace wasn’t able to avoid the disabled list on Tuesday. The Angels deactivated him due to what was termed a lower back strain and spasms.
Weaver was off to a 6-1 start with a 2.61 ERA this season. It’s the first time in five years that he has gone on the DL. He last missed time in April 2007 due to biceps tendinitis.
In a minor surprise, replacing Weaver on the roster is Garrett Richards. Richards was the expected choice to take Weaver’s place in the rotation this weekend, but it figured the Angels would call up a reliever until then. Instead, they apparently want Richards available out of the bullpen tonight in case they need a long man. Since the Angels needed nine innings from their bullpen Monday, they’ll be limited in what they have available tonight.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 87
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)