May 29, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
7:15 p.m. EDT update: Now it’s officially official, apparently. The Angels have once again announced that Weaver has been placed on the DL and Richards has been called up.
6:30 p.m. EDT update: The Angels have asked reporters to disregard the release they sent out announcing that Weaver was placed on the DL and Garrett Richards was recalled. Apparently, they’re still deliberating the move.
Those fearing a serious knee injury for Jered Weaver last night got some good news, but the Angels ace wasn’t able to avoid the disabled list on Tuesday. The Angels deactivated him due to what was termed a lower back strain and spasms.
Weaver was off to a 6-1 start with a 2.61 ERA this season. It’s the first time in five years that he has gone on the DL. He last missed time in April 2007 due to biceps tendinitis.
In a minor surprise, replacing Weaver on the roster is Garrett Richards. Richards was the expected choice to take Weaver’s place in the rotation this weekend, but it figured the Angels would call up a reliever until then. Instead, they apparently want Richards available out of the bullpen tonight in case they need a long man. Since the Angels needed nine innings from their bullpen Monday, they’ll be limited in what they have available tonight.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 2
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 78
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)