Miami-Dade challenges the Marlins over $1.7 million of stadium expenses

May 29, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Marlins Miami new logo

The Miami Marlins are supposed to share a certain percentage of the construction costs for their new ballpark. To that end, the team claimed numerous expenses related to the ballpark towards their magic number.

The Miami-Dade government, however, is calling b.s. on some of them, saying that the team should not get expense credit for a number of expenses related to the team’s apparently chi-chi little sales office:

All of the claims being questioned by the county relate to the ballclub’s small sales office that sat next to the stadium parking garages on Northwest Seventh Street.

The team is seeking to recover $14,031 for advertising banners, thousands spent on Comcast cable and Florida Power & Light bills, $110,545 it put toward rent, and $259,057 paid to the A2 Group, the firm that designed the center.

The team also spent $33,226 on office furniture, $9,823 on the drapes, and $299.72 for fabric to cover three pillows — all items the county has chosen to fight.

Good for the government for fighting such expenses. If only they would have never gotten in bed with someone who would attempt to pass off such expenses as their contribution to a grand public works project in the first place.

1. aceshigh11 - May 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM

These public-private partnerships can be really infuriating.

Bigshot business owners are the first to whine about onerous regulations and taxes, and yet they try to foist as many of their expenses as they can on the public, or ask for a bailout when the deal goes bad.

I realize that there is often a very positive economic effect to an area when a new arena or stadium is built, but that still doesn’t justify publicly subsidizing their construction when the team owners have more than enough resources to do it on their own.

• Kevin S. - May 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Don’t let them play up that economic impact – it’s vastly overstated. Check out Field of Schemes for more on it.

2. cur68 - May 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Tell me the good people of Miami are not on the hook for Tommy? ‘Cause if they are, then that is a far greater crime than the covering of pillows, office furniture and drapes.

• Old Gator - May 29, 2012 at 10:45 AM

That’s worth looking into, isn’t it? Art for the people!

(Which reminds me – didn’t Tom Lehrer point out that “the reason most folk songs are so atrocious is that they were written by…the people“?

• proudlycanadian - May 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Tom Leher was a savant. On another site, I recently wrote that the alcoholic country singer George Jones who sang about his life of whisky and women, was more authentic than the blind folk singer Doc Watson who pretended to have ridden a Tennessee Stud. I was having thoughts about the mortality of singers whom I had admired (including Watson) during my youth.

• cur68 - May 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Spent yesterday PM programming my car stereo. Came across my Stevie Ray Vaughn collection. I miss that guy: fabulous voice, just amazing. He could play guitar a bit, too. I may not be all au fait with the folk music, but I knows me a loss or two to music when I hears one. The mortality of singers, indeed.

3. Old Gator - May 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I am seriously considering coming out of retirement to found a Macondo Trolley Tour company. Buendia, ladies an’ chentelmen, boys hand girls….” We have about four or five stops to make at Macondo Banana Massacre Field alone: Tommy, the inadequate parking, the empty storefronts and shop(pe)s, the site of the tumultuous anti-Che Guillen riots, and now, the sales office. From there, we proceed deep into Little Havana to see the Elian Gonzalez federal rescue memorial, thence on to the MacArthur causeway for the site of the recent “High Noon of the Living Dead” naked cannibal attack…..

• heyblueyoustink - May 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

If there’s some kind of wax likeness of the face chewing zombie impersonator, you have your first customer here sir.

• gloccamorra - May 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Forget the wax. If the Marlins are so anxious to make money, they’ll offer a bobblehead version.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5011)