May 29, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Whenever I hear someone talk about how baseball “was the only thing my dad and I could talk about together,” it doesn’t make me think of baseball as some great coming-t0gether thing. It makes me think of how sad it must have been to grow up in a house where you didn’t have anything else to talk to your dad about.
Or mom. Let’s not forget mom.
All of which is why I nodded my head as I read Lindy West’s piece in Jezebel yesterday in which that “baseball is all about fathers and sons …” rebop is shown to be pretty empty. It may apply in one’s own circumstance, but as a means of explaining the appeal of baseball to others, it’s really, really hard for most people to relate to and makes you sound silly after a while.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)