May 29, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Whenever I hear someone talk about how baseball “was the only thing my dad and I could talk about together,” it doesn’t make me think of baseball as some great coming-t0gether thing. It makes me think of how sad it must have been to grow up in a house where you didn’t have anything else to talk to your dad about.
Or mom. Let’s not forget mom.
All of which is why I nodded my head as I read Lindy West’s piece in Jezebel yesterday in which that “baseball is all about fathers and sons …” rebop is shown to be pretty empty. It may apply in one’s own circumstance, but as a means of explaining the appeal of baseball to others, it’s really, really hard for most people to relate to and makes you sound silly after a while.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)