May 29, 2012, 7:42 PM EST
From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Padres have signed right-hander Jason Marquis, who was released by the Twins earlier this week after posting an 8.47 ERA and 1.94 WHIP in seven starts.
Marquis will report to the Padres’ Triple-A affiliate in Tucson and attempt to prove he’s got something left.
The 33-year-old right-hander currently owns a 4.63 career ERA, 5.2 career K/9 and 1.44 career WHIP.
San Diego’s Petco Park is a pitcher’s haven, but so is Minnesota’s Target Field. And he allowed a whopping 33 hits in 21 1/3 innings there.
UPDATE, 8:07 PM: MLB.com’s Corey Brock confirms that the Padres have signed Marquis to a minor league contract. He has been assigned to Double-A San Antonio, not Triple-A Tucson.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)