May 29, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Bad news for the Phillies: they just got word back from the doctors on Roy Halladay and it’s serious: a strained right latissimus dorsi. That’ll land him on the DL, and he’s expected to miss 6-8 weeks.
This is the first time Halladay has been on the DL since 2009 and the first time with any kind of arm or shoulder problems (or problems in those areas more or less) since 2004.
Halladay has clearly not been himself this season, and this injury confirms why. He hits the DL with a 4-5 record and a 3.98 ERA. And with the Phillies tied for last place, four games behind Washington. It was being termed “shoulder soreness.” While such a thing often turns out to be worse than what Halladay has — at least he doesn’t need surgery — but this is not run-of-the-mill shoulder soreness.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11