May 29, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Bad news for the Phillies: they just got word back from the doctors on Roy Halladay and it’s serious: a strained right latissimus dorsi. That’ll land him on the DL, and he’s expected to miss 6-8 weeks.
This is the first time Halladay has been on the DL since 2009 and the first time with any kind of arm or shoulder problems (or problems in those areas more or less) since 2004.
Halladay has clearly not been himself this season, and this injury confirms why. He hits the DL with a 4-5 record and a 3.98 ERA. And with the Phillies tied for last place, four games behind Washington. It was being termed “shoulder soreness.” While such a thing often turns out to be worse than what Halladay has — at least he doesn’t need surgery — but this is not run-of-the-mill shoulder soreness.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 56
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 123
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 39
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (118)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (118)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)