May 29, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Bad news for the Phillies: they just got word back from the doctors on Roy Halladay and it’s serious: a strained right latissimus dorsi. That’ll land him on the DL, and he’s expected to miss 6-8 weeks.
This is the first time Halladay has been on the DL since 2009 and the first time with any kind of arm or shoulder problems (or problems in those areas more or less) since 2004.
Halladay has clearly not been himself this season, and this injury confirms why. He hits the DL with a 4-5 record and a 3.98 ERA. And with the Phillies tied for last place, four games behind Washington. It was being termed “shoulder soreness.” While such a thing often turns out to be worse than what Halladay has — at least he doesn’t need surgery — but this is not run-of-the-mill shoulder soreness.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 44
- The Nationals and Phillies are nearing a trade for Jonathan Papelbon 25
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 81
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)