May 29, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Bad news for the Phillies: they just got word back from the doctors on Roy Halladay and it’s serious: a strained right latissimus dorsi. That’ll land him on the DL, and he’s expected to miss 6-8 weeks.
This is the first time Halladay has been on the DL since 2009 and the first time with any kind of arm or shoulder problems (or problems in those areas more or less) since 2004.
Halladay has clearly not been himself this season, and this injury confirms why. He hits the DL with a 4-5 record and a 3.98 ERA. And with the Phillies tied for last place, four games behind Washington. It was being termed “shoulder soreness.” While such a thing often turns out to be worse than what Halladay has — at least he doesn’t need surgery — but this is not run-of-the-mill shoulder soreness.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)