May 29, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
When you’ve lost eight straight and two of your young starters are sucking eggs, you gotta do something. Today the Braves did, sending Kris Medlen down to triple-A Gwinnett and calling up outfielder Jose Constanza.
Now, Medlen is not one of the ones who has been sucking eggs. Indeed, he’s been just fine in a relief role. His demotion is to stretch him out so that he may convert to starting duties, which he’s never done full-time, though he has seen some swingman duties. The egg-sucker-in-chief is Mike Minor. Randall Delgado hasn’t been tearing it up either. Julio Teheran is another starter possibility apart from Medlen.
As for Constanza, oy, here we go again. Last year a couple of fluky weeks by him led manager Fredi Gonzalez to bench Jason Heyward for long stretches. Heyward has hit only .205 for the month of May, so I would not be at all shocked if we see a ton of Constanza time going forward.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)