May 29, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
When you’ve lost eight straight and two of your young starters are sucking eggs, you gotta do something. Today the Braves did, sending Kris Medlen down to triple-A Gwinnett and calling up outfielder Jose Constanza.
Now, Medlen is not one of the ones who has been sucking eggs. Indeed, he’s been just fine in a relief role. His demotion is to stretch him out so that he may convert to starting duties, which he’s never done full-time, though he has seen some swingman duties. The egg-sucker-in-chief is Mike Minor. Randall Delgado hasn’t been tearing it up either. Julio Teheran is another starter possibility apart from Medlen.
As for Constanza, oy, here we go again. Last year a couple of fluky weeks by him led manager Fredi Gonzalez to bench Jason Heyward for long stretches. Heyward has hit only .205 for the month of May, so I would not be at all shocked if we see a ton of Constanza time going forward.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)