The prosecution finally rests in the Roger Clemens case

May 29, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT

Roger Clemens

After seven weeks of the prosecution case in chief, the government has rested.  Also two minor counts against Roger Clemens have been dismissed.

The dropped counts relate to individual things he said such as him having “no idea” that George Mitchell wanted to talk to him. The dismissal was likely because the government didn’t put on evidence relating to those counts.  He remains charged with two counts of perjury and three counts of making false statements before Congress, along with 13 other acts constituting obstruction of justice. For all practical purposes the case remains the same.

Oh, and shockingly, the judge denied Clemens’ motion today to have the case dismissed. Hey, was worth a try.

Time for the defense case. It is not likely to take anywhere near as long given that one tends not to put on a ton of evidence establishing that one did not do something.

1. El Bravo - May 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Must be the worst jury duty ever…holy balls…this is such a behemothic waste of money. I looked that word up b/c all other synonyms to huge are not behomothic enough.

• El Bravo - May 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Then I spelled it wrong immediately. Nice.

• gloccamorra - May 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM

It COULD be worse for the jury – they could have been sequestered.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM

If the DNA does not match it’s a wate of cash.

Sorry, best I could do…

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Not true. I coud’ve spelt ‘waste’ better.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 29, 2012 at 5:54 PM

FINISH HIM

3. jwbiii - May 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Did the prosecution rest or just bore the jury into stupors?

4. proudlycanadian - May 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM

According to SI.com, Rusty wants two more weeks in order to present his case. Rusty just does not know when to shut up.

5. xsherr - May 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I’m not surprised. The gov can’t get a damn thing done properly.

6. thegamecocker - May 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM

This is a COLLOSSAL waste of tax payer money! The POL’s lie to everyone all the time! Now they’re bent out of shape because Clemens may have lied! We have to get over your lies; now get over when other’s lie to you!

• 84cubs - May 29, 2012 at 7:27 PM

It is NOT a COLOSSAL waste of money. He cant get away with LYING UNDER OATH! Name me a “pol” who lied UNDER OATH, was caught, tried, found guilty AND DID NOT GET PUNISHED FOR IT? Regardless of how much it cost, nobody should get away with that regardless of who that person is or how much money he has for defense.

• kcfanatic - May 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Oh, I don’t know how about every president that ever gave a State of the Union Speech?

• kcfanatic - May 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM

BTW, Clemens has never been “found guilty” of anything. You are getting him mistaken with Bonds. His case was a mistrial. He also has not been caught lying, yet. If he is found guilty he will be punished. It will be a joke of a sentence compared to the amount of money we have spent on the trial.

• jwbiii - May 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Strawman. Politicians are allowed to lie. Article I, Section6.

• bozosforall - May 29, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Clinton lied to Congress. Goldman Sachs also lied. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker lied to Congress as well. No penalties for any of those liars.

• sj39 - May 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Bill Clinton.

• teaspoon1731 - May 29, 2012 at 9:07 PM

This is a collossal waste of tax payer money because in a time where our education system is struggling, health care is struggling, and we have a national debt that gives me a mini heart attack I think about it, we waste our money trying to determine if baseball players did steroids or not.

I don’t care if he lied under oath or not because I don’t care if he did steroids. Why can’t the govenment stop caring about baseball and start caring about things that actually matter?

• Old Gator - May 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Like Shariah law or gay marriage? Right. The day government starts caring about things that matter, we’ll get hit by an asteroid the size of Connecticut.

• teaspoon1731 - May 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Honestly, I’m pretty sure the asteroid is a million times more likely.

7. steveohho - May 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Ah yes the Roger Clemons trial. Just another employment program for federal attorneys. I mean, what else are they gonna do? Prosecute half wit terrorists who were supplied, armed and masterminded by the FBI?

8. sportymcgee - May 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I don’t understand. Here’s a guy, Clemens, who goes to Congress and tells some bald-faced lies. In some crazy turn of events, there is actually evidence that proves he was telling lies. Just for general principle he needs to be found guilty. Do what you want, but if you get caught be man enough to accept the consequences.

• kcfanatic - May 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM

So, I guess all the rapists, murderers and child molesters are “men” because they accept their consequences? Come on. BTW, It is Bold Faced Lie. Not like a guy that recently shaved his face, LOL.

• baldfaced - May 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM

No, it’s bald-faced. Look it up. It’s related to not having a beard to hide your expression.

9. cptnew1 - May 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I’m not defending Clemens by any means, but anyone remember when Palmeiro told his story to Congress? Why hasnt that been pursued? “Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids, period. I don’t know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never.” I’m willing to bet that if most of us lied to Congress, we wouldn’t just kind of go away.

• delawarephilliesfan - May 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Palmeiro was looked at heavily for perjury charges, the problem was that there was no evidence that he had taken steroids at the time he made that statement to Congress. He said that in March, then failed a test in August.

OBVIOUSLY there is no fricking way he led a clean life, made that statement to congress, then decided “Okay, now I’ll give steroids a shot”. But with no Brian McNamee type person to come forward, the government could not prove anything. The test he failed was for drugs that were in his system months after he made that statement

10. gmsingh - May 30, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Thank you Bud Selig–steroids, the gift that keeps on giving. Manny Ramirez is still around, Barry Bonds is still around–why don’t any of these losers get the Pete Rose treatment?

• sj39 - May 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Don’t leave out Big Mac.

• gmsingh - May 30, 2012 at 8:17 AM

True–that’s an embarrassment too. At least they could give him the title of “HGH coach” instead of hitting coach…

• delawarephilliesfan - May 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM

In those moments before he drifts off to sleep, I bet Clemens wishes he pulled a Big Mac, i.e. “I’m not hear to talk about the past…..”

Big Mac = reputation in tatters, no Hall, no conviction.

Clemens = reputation in tatters, no Hall (probably), and…..we shall see