May 29, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT
Is it just me, or do people in Chicago not feel as bad about the recently-ended losing streak and what seems to be the inevitable dreadful remaining season as they might normally be? At least among the Cubs fans I know, people are just being cool, knowing that the roster was a mess and knowing that Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer are playing the long game.
And as Patrick Mooney notes in his report at CSNChicago.com, that’s the game being played. Epstein:
“We’ll have to take a realistic look of where we are. And if there are ways to get better, every option has to be on the table … I’ve always operated under that philosophy,” Epstein said. “I never understood why there would ever be an untouchable. All you’re doing is limiting your opportunity.”
I guess Starlin Castro would be called untouchable if you put a gun to Theo’s head. But heck, maybe even he goes if some team is dumb enough to back up the prospects truck.
Just a very different mindset from an organization which often talked about rebuilding, but never really went into it whole-hog.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)