May 30, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
I thought the worst Tigers news I’d read today was that they’re using Gerald Laird as their DH tonight. That’s bad, but not as bad as this: They just put Doug Fister on 15-day DL, retroactive to yesterday, with a left side strain.
Fister already missed a month or so with a strained abdominal muscle, so these two things are probably related. He’s only made six starts this year. And, while those starts have been effective ones, the Tigers need him in the rotation if they’re ever gonna pull out of this funk.
Casey Crosby will be recalled Friday to start against the Yankees. Which is hilarious, because it means the Tigers fans can scream about their regular starter going down and a kid taking his place and Yankees fans screaming about how badly their team does against unknown lefty starters. Which Yankees fans think is totally unique to their team.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 6
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 13
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 11
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)