May 30, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
I thought the worst Tigers news I’d read today was that they’re using Gerald Laird as their DH tonight. That’s bad, but not as bad as this: They just put Doug Fister on 15-day DL, retroactive to yesterday, with a left side strain.
Fister already missed a month or so with a strained abdominal muscle, so these two things are probably related. He’s only made six starts this year. And, while those starts have been effective ones, the Tigers need him in the rotation if they’re ever gonna pull out of this funk.
Casey Crosby will be recalled Friday to start against the Yankees. Which is hilarious, because it means the Tigers fans can scream about their regular starter going down and a kid taking his place and Yankees fans screaming about how badly their team does against unknown lefty starters. Which Yankees fans think is totally unique to their team.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)