May 30, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
Despite his best efforts, Carlos Quentin couldn’t stop the Padres from getting swept by the lowly Cubs, who entered the series losers of 12 in a row.
Quentin, though, did put on a show at Wrigley Field, collecting three homers and four doubles in his first three games back from the disabled list. Two of those homers came Wednesday off the formerly untouchable Ryan Dempster. Right-handed hitters were hitting .197/.234/.234 with one homer in 117 at-bats going into the game.
So the Padres are now 17-35, having lost six games in a row. They’re 16 1/2 games back in the NL West (no other team in baseball is more than 12 1/2 games out of first place). It’s already time to start thinking about selling, and Quentin, a poor defensive outfielder who probably isn’t a long-term piece in Petco Park, would seem to be an obvious candidate to go in a trade this summer. Some could use him more than others, but just about every AL contender aside from the Angels could find a way to fit his bat in somehow. He’d also seem to be precisely the right-handed bat the Reds need in the cleanup spot. It’d be for the best if he doesn’t get too comfortable in San Diego.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)