May 30, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Chad Tracy pulled up lame while running out a double Saturday, leaving the game in obvious pain, and it turns out the injury was a bad one.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Tracy suffered a torn groin muscle that will require surgery. He’ll miss at least 6-8 weeks and the 32-year-old veteran could be sidelined for the entire season after manager Davey Johnson described the injury as the muscle tearing clear off the bone.
Washington remains in first place despite a ton of injuries and while not an everyday player Tracy had been a key bench bat and backup corner infielder with an .837 OPS in 55 plate appearances.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 10
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 23
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 37
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL