May 30, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Chad Tracy pulled up lame while running out a double Saturday, leaving the game in obvious pain, and it turns out the injury was a bad one.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Tracy suffered a torn groin muscle that will require surgery. He’ll miss at least 6-8 weeks and the 32-year-old veteran could be sidelined for the entire season after manager Davey Johnson described the injury as the muscle tearing clear off the bone.
Washington remains in first place despite a ton of injuries and while not an everyday player Tracy had been a key bench bat and backup corner infielder with an .837 OPS in 55 plate appearances.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 33
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)