May 30, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Chad Tracy pulled up lame while running out a double Saturday, leaving the game in obvious pain, and it turns out the injury was a bad one.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Tracy suffered a torn groin muscle that will require surgery. He’ll miss at least 6-8 weeks and the 32-year-old veteran could be sidelined for the entire season after manager Davey Johnson described the injury as the muscle tearing clear off the bone.
Washington remains in first place despite a ton of injuries and while not an everyday player Tracy had been a key bench bat and backup corner infielder with an .837 OPS in 55 plate appearances.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)