May 30, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Chad Tracy pulled up lame while running out a double Saturday, leaving the game in obvious pain, and it turns out the injury was a bad one.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Tracy suffered a torn groin muscle that will require surgery. He’ll miss at least 6-8 weeks and the 32-year-old veteran could be sidelined for the entire season after manager Davey Johnson described the injury as the muscle tearing clear off the bone.
Washington remains in first place despite a ton of injuries and while not an everyday player Tracy had been a key bench bat and backup corner infielder with an .837 OPS in 55 plate appearances.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)