May 30, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Chad Tracy pulled up lame while running out a double Saturday, leaving the game in obvious pain, and it turns out the injury was a bad one.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com reports that Tracy suffered a torn groin muscle that will require surgery. He’ll miss at least 6-8 weeks and the 32-year-old veteran could be sidelined for the entire season after manager Davey Johnson described the injury as the muscle tearing clear off the bone.
Washington remains in first place despite a ton of injuries and while not an everyday player Tracy had been a key bench bat and backup corner infielder with an .837 OPS in 55 plate appearances.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)