Dustin Pedroia has a torn thumb muscle, could miss 3-4 weeks

May 30, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT

Dustin Pedroia sat for last night’s Red Sox-Tigers game due to a thumb injury. After the game, we learned what the injury actually was:

Because that’s exactly what the Red Sox need: more players on the disabled list.

UPDATE: Here’s the latest on Pedroia from Sean McAdam at CSNNE.com

1. natstowngreg - May 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM

As we approach an amazing record. A season when every MLB player made the DL at least once.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM

No kidding. I don’t know if training regimens and workouts need some tweaking, or if there’s any other precautions that can be taken so players aren’t hurt all the damn time.

2. xpensivewinos - May 30, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I wonder how long he’s been playing with the injury. He’s been extremely mediocre this year and that could help explain why.

• hammyofdoom - May 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Mediocre? He’s performed slightly under his career norms, batting average down less than .10, slugging down .12, OB down .2. While he had had a little bit of a down season I wouldnt call it “mediocre”. There certainly has been a fall off the past few weeks, which is when I think he first hurt it

• The Rabbit - May 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

According to an update I received on my fantasy players, the injury was believed to have happened about 3 weeks ago….and I agree with you, hammy, until a few weeks ago, he was hitting very well.
        Early in the season, it doesn’t take a very long streak or slump to really skew a players’ stats.

3. hammyofdoom - May 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

SON OF A BITCH! This is getting absolutely goddamn ridiculous to watch nearly every starter for the team you follow go down. The plus side is I’m getting more informed about the Red Sox minor league players than ever before.

4. allbucdup - May 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I just can’t see him being a help with a hurt thumb. How would he ever be able to recover?

So is this the prequel to or Iglesias being called up and sliding Aviles to 2b?

5. allbucdup - May 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM

*Ciracao or Iglesias

6. teaspoon1731 - May 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Dammit Pedroia, your backup is Nick Punto. Guys who are backed up by Punto are not allowed to get hurt.

7. sabatimus - May 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM

At this point, taking the 3-4 weeks off is probably better than risking injuring it worse, or playing like crap through it.

Three legends off to Cooperstown