May 30, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
I saw that the Dewey & LeBoeuf law firm is folding. That’s huge news and the latest indication of just how farkakte the economics of the legal business are. But I had forgotten who D&L’s most recent high profile client was. Here’s Steve Dilbeck of the L.A. Times:
News has come from back east that the law firm of Dewey & LeBoeuf is filing for bankruptcy. Besides the little detail that this is the largest law firm to go under in U.S. history, there is this one other notable fact: The law firm going bankrupt is the same law firm that handled Frank McCourt’s bankruptcy of the Dodgers … Hey, I know a guy flush with $1 billion who might be able to give Dewey a loan. You could argue he even owes them.
Sadly, we can’t pin this on McCourt. Rather, we can pin it on a ridiculous compensation system that has law firm partners promising themselves insane draws despite the fact that revenues won’t support it anymore because business clients aren’t as dumb as to simply rubber stamp every legal bill that comes in to the accounting office like they did back in the 80s.
Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up to be corporate lawyers …
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 12
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut