Grady Sizemore: “I’m beyond being anxious or frustrated”

May 30, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

Grady Sizemore AP

As recently as three weeks ago Grady Sizemore seemed optimistic about returning from the disabled list in early June, but as has so often been the case with the former star setbacks have squashed those plans.

In updating Sizemore’s status yesterday manager Manny Acta admitted that the center fielder is nowhere close to returning from knee and back surgeries because he hasn’t been cleared to run the bases yet and there isn’t even a timetable for him to begin a minor-league rehab assignment.

Sizemore expressed his understandable frustration to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

I’m beyond being anxious or frustrated. I can’t even explain it. It’s almost feels like a part of you is missing. I’ve learned that rushing and trying to get back as soon as possible didn’t work. I tried that last year and I just ended up putting myself in a worse position. That’s why we’re taking it slow now. That’s why it’s important to not just feel good, but to feel really good, to feel great.

Michael Brantley has played well shifting to center field in Sizemore’s absence, but the Indians investing $5 million to re-sign the oft-injured 29-year-old is looking more and more like a sunk cost.

1. butchhuskey - May 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I can still remember the SI cover with the headline titled “Sizemore Matters” – I always thought that was a clever bit of wordplay.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

What a shame. Grady was going to be a longtime star for certain – he was simply incredible. I hope he regains some of that in good health. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to be so self-limited, with the talents he can offer.

3. burm61 - May 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Even if Grady gets healthy, it’s Brantley’s job. Grady can take Cunningham’s roster spot but that’s it.

4. Lukehart80 - May 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM

The entire Grady Sizemore injury saga of the last 3 years or so bums me out.

It’s worse because I’m an Indians fan, but even if I weren’t, or if Sizemore were on a different team, it’s just a shame to see so much talent and excitement forced off the field by health issues.

5. akbrownsfan - May 31, 2012 at 1:33 AM

He’s better than that hack job Damon

6. xjokerz - May 31, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Same old story. Next

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5089)