May 30, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
In today’s Rays-White Sox game, A.J. Pierzynski got plunked. Later, be it by coincidence or not, Jose Quintana threw one at Ben Zobrist and was immediately ejected by umpire Mark Wegner. Then White Sox announcer Hawk Harrelson went crazy:
UPDATE: MLB pulled the You Tube video, but they have it over at MLB.com, with complete Hawk awesomeness.
Hey, I’m just as critical of the umps as anyone, but perhaps Mr. Harrelson should get a bit of perspective. And even though homerism has been Harrelson’s shtick for years — he always says “we” when referring to the White Sox and calls the opposition “the bad guys” — this is a bit beyond the pale, no?
I mean, at least pretend to not be the propaganda arm of the team, OK? Or at least pretend not to be 12 years-old.
(link via Awful Announcing)
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)