Jonathan Lucroy: “My wife has been getting hate mail”

May 30, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT

Lucroy_Jonathan

Jonathan Lucroy will undergo surgery tomorrow to insert a pin into his fractured right hand, but Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that the operation won’t change the catcher’s expected recovery timetable of 4-6 weeks.

Lucroy also revealed during a radio interview with 1250-WSSP that his wife “has been getting hate mail on her Facebook” page after fans learned that the injury came when a suitcase she was moving fell on his hand.

Lucroy pleaded with fans to stop harassing his wife:

It’s really sad that these kinds of things happen from a freak thing. I mean, she didn’t do it on purpose. It was an accident. Stranger things have happened. It’s been a battle for me, personally, because there’s no one to blame, and my wife is getting killed by this. It’s not like she’s not hurt enough already, not feeling guilty enough already. I really wish people would just leave her alone, leave us alone, just let us try to move forward, and get this behind us, because this has been a brutal couple of days.

People: Still the worst.

1. seeinred87 - May 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

People really are the worst.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I hate people.

• cur68 - May 30, 2012 at 7:42 PM

This is why I believe in Dog, and only Dog. Jeez.

2. rollinghighwayblues - May 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I will never understand people who go through the trouble of sending hate mail. Seriously? They have nothing better to do than harass a person (a woman, no less) who was involved in a freak accident?

• koufaxmitzvah - May 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

School’s out for the summer.

• IdahoMariner - May 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I love that, to underscore that people are the worst and that some losers just like to hate, both seeinred and rolling highway got thumbs down. Really? You are against people saying that maybe we should be nicer to each other? Of course you are.

3. alexb64 - May 30, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Facebook won’t do anything unless she’s threatened either. They will protect people willingly “sharing” their data to advertisers until they’re absolutely forced to take action. Sucks, Facebook & Twitter are so popular the threat of having your IP banned from accessing their content would take care of so much of this garbage, but it won’t happen because that’s less people they can make money off of & they won’t admit it but the “psychotic internet badass” demographic is a very active type of user that is valuable to them.

4. brewcrewfan54 - May 30, 2012 at 3:41 PM

These types of fans are pathetic. Those Brewer fans doing this make me sick to my stomach, you fantasy owners doing it are just as bad. “Fan” is short for fanatic, not lunatic. You can be a fan without this type of sad behavior. Go cheer for another team, the rest of us Brewer fans don’t want your types cheering for the Crew.

5. stoutfiles - May 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I wondered why Lucroy used his wife as the scapegoat in the first place. As soon as I heard his excuse I knew she would be getting crap from everyone. Be a man and don’t publicly blame your wife for your injury.

• dowhatifeellike - May 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM

It’s not blaming his wife if that’s how it happened. Would you rather him lie to everyone?

• brewcrewfan54 - May 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM

So what’s the real story then?

• Victor's Secret - May 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I’m totally with stoutflies here. There was absolutely no reason to publicly throw his wife under the bus. All he had to say was that a piece of luggage fell on his hand while packing. That’s it.

It’s a freak accident either way, but publicly blaming his wife, even as an aside, seems so weird and passive-agressive to me.

• mikecubbie69 - May 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM

How was he blaming his wife?

6. muskyhunter2542 - May 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I can not think that those are real Milwaukee Brewers fans. That is sad for someone to do that when clearly it wasnt Luc’s fault.
    That does not reflect the majority of us Brewers fans… Jet well Luc… We need you out there soon!!!

7. mdpickles - May 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Ahh, social media. The proverbial double-edged sword. Live by the notoriety, die by the notoriety. Still does not excuse the 90% of internet users could use some training in cyber-manners.

8. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

S**t happens. I feel for Sarah, and I hope her hubby gets well soon. He’s been having a hell of a season.

9. larryboodry - May 30, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I’m a Cubs fan, but still hope Lucroy recovers quickly…Those folks harassing his wife are scum.

10. pjmitch - May 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

OR….Mrs. LuCroy can do what I do to avoid not only derogatory comments (although I don’t have that problem) but also of being notifed and useless information about others lives. Don’t be on Facebook. If you put yourself out there, expect the world to judge you and know your personal life

• rollinghighwayblues - May 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Exactly why I attempt to stay off the grid.

• nategearhart - May 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Blaming the victim. If she were approached by “fans” at Walmart, would you recommend that she not leave the house?

• brewcrewfan54 - May 30, 2012 at 4:02 PM

So since she has facebook, a great way to communicate with friends and family when someone like her moves far away from her hometown means that she should get hate mail when an accident hurts her husband? Yeah that makes all kinds of sense.

• KR - May 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Area Man Constantly Mentioning He’s Not on Facebook

• drewsylvania - May 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM

He’s not blaming anyone, just stating a hard fact about internet trolls. She could escape most of it by not using Facebook or changing her settings so that only friends can post.

11. nategearhart - May 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM

These people are not fans. What jackasses.

12. rcali - May 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Maybe he should come clean then and tell us all what really happened……..Jeff Kent……..

13. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM

She should hire Aroldis Chapman to go after these people.

14. greej1938l - May 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Yeah… Really grow up

15. yahmule - May 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM

With social media comes social responsibility and a certain percentage of people will never accept such a notion.

16. randygnyc - May 30, 2012 at 5:31 PM

D I S G U S T I N G ! ! ! ! !

17. euie48 - May 31, 2012 at 11:59 AM

simple solution… shut down your Facebook page. too many low-IQ haters out there….

18. avietar - May 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM

A word of wisdom (two words, actually) to the Lucroys: DUFFLE BAGS.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3679)