May 30, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Jonathan Lucroy will undergo surgery tomorrow to insert a pin into his fractured right hand, but Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that the operation won’t change the catcher’s expected recovery timetable of 4-6 weeks.
Lucroy also revealed during a radio interview with 1250-WSSP that his wife “has been getting hate mail on her Facebook” page after fans learned that the injury came when a suitcase she was moving fell on his hand.
Lucroy pleaded with fans to stop harassing his wife:
It’s really sad that these kinds of things happen from a freak thing. I mean, she didn’t do it on purpose. It was an accident. Stranger things have happened. It’s been a battle for me, personally, because there’s no one to blame, and my wife is getting killed by this. It’s not like she’s not hurt enough already, not feeling guilty enough already. I really wish people would just leave her alone, leave us alone, just let us try to move forward, and get this behind us, because this has been a brutal couple of days.
People: Still the worst.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45