May 30, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
His April wasn’t that damn bad either.
I don’t think it’s fair to say that most people thought the Giants lost the Jonathan Sanchez-Melky Cabrera trade with Kansas City. Some did. A lot of people thought it was even. Among those who thought the Giants won it, I think it was less about them getting an awesome player as much as it was thinking that the Giants got the bird in the hand rather than the two in the bush that is Sanchez.
No matter the case, I don’t think anyone figured that Cabrera would match his 2011 production once he moved to AT&T Park, and no one thought he’d be playing All-Star caliber ball. But that’s what he’s doing. And he just set an interesting team record too.
Cabrera went 3 for 4 last night, which put him at 50 hits for the month of May. That’s the most hits in May for a Giant ever, passing Willie Mays’ record. The most hits for a Giant in any month ever were Randy Winn’s 51 in September 2005. Cabrera has a game to match that. And he won’t be doing it against expanded rosters like Winn did.
Overall, Cabrera is is hitting .376/.420/.556 in the Giants’ first 50 games, which is actually more than All-Star caliber ball. It’s MVP-level production. Who’d a thunk it?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)