May 30, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
His April wasn’t that damn bad either.
I don’t think it’s fair to say that most people thought the Giants lost the Jonathan Sanchez–Melky Cabrera trade with Kansas City. Some did. A lot of people thought it was even. Among those who thought the Giants won it, I think it was less about them getting an awesome player as much as it was thinking that the Giants got the bird in the hand rather than the two in the bush that is Sanchez.
No matter the case, I don’t think anyone figured that Cabrera would match his 2011 production once he moved to AT&T Park, and no one thought he’d be playing All-Star caliber ball. But that’s what he’s doing. And he just set an interesting team record too.
Cabrera went 3 for 4 last night, which put him at 50 hits for the month of May. That’s the most hits in May for a Giant ever, passing Willie Mays’ record. The most hits for a Giant in any month ever were Randy Winn’s 51 in September 2005. Cabrera has a game to match that. And he won’t be doing it against expanded rosters like Winn did.
Overall, Cabrera is is hitting .376/.420/.556 in the Giants’ first 50 games, which is actually more than All-Star caliber ball. It’s MVP-level production. Who’d a thunk it?
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)