Melky Cabrera has had a May to remember

May 30, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Melky Cabrera

His April wasn’t that damn bad either.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that most people thought the Giants lost the Jonathan Sanchez-Melky Cabrera trade with Kansas City. Some did. A lot of people thought it was even. Among those who thought the Giants won it, I think it was less about them getting an awesome player as much as it was thinking that the Giants got the bird in the hand rather than the two in the bush that is Sanchez.

No matter the case, I don’t think anyone figured that Cabrera would match his 2011 production once he moved to AT&T Park, and no one thought he’d be playing All-Star caliber ball. But that’s what he’s doing. And he just set an interesting team record too.

Cabrera went 3 for 4 last night, which put him at 50 hits for the month of May. That’s the most hits in May for a Giant ever, passing Willie Mays’ record. The most hits for a Giant in any month ever were Randy Winn’s 51 in September 2005. Cabrera has a game to match that. And he won’t be doing it against expanded rosters like Winn did.

Overall, Cabrera is is hitting .376/.420/.556 in the Giants’ first 50 games, which is actually more than All-Star caliber ball. It’s MVP-level production. Who’d a thunk it?

1. ajcardsfan - May 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Melky’s certainly been doing good on my fantasy team, he was one of the guys I took a risk on, it’s paid off. Here’s hoping he continues to do great!

2. Gamera the Brave - May 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM

As a Giants fan, I was fairly happy with the trade – an obvious upgrade over Torres, who was likable, and played great D – but only had one year in the bigs where he actually hit at the major league level. Melky, even had he hit .275-.280 would have been more than welcome. Like most, I thought last year was an outlier, but figured he would be fine.
    Was very glad to be rid of the maddening Sanchez… Any trade is a crap shoot, this one sure looks good so far…

• thomas2727 - May 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Sanchez and his 5 IP on 100 pitches are not missed. The 2 times a year he would dazzle us were not enough to suffer though the 33 times he would torture us.

I like that the outfield has gotten more athletic. Pagan and Blanco both look good so far.

3. fulanekiffin - May 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM

As a braves fan, this pisses me off. How can you be so impossibly bad in Atlanta and then move on to Kansas City and play well, then a season later be hitting .380? He had more hits in that 3 hit game than he did the whole season with the Braves. Unbelievable. Same goes with Derek Lowe. What.The.Hell.

• mississippimusicman - May 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity.

4. tmohr - May 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I’d a thunk it – Melkington Q. Cabrera cannot be stopped, only contained.

5. rastaraider - May 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

MVP

6. hammyofdoom - May 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I suddenly remember reading this article after Melky’s down year with Atlanta describing how players who come up at the age 21 or younger and stay in the majors almost always become at least better than average, if not all-star caliber players. It convinced me that I should expect good things from Melky, but I NEVER would have expected a .500 slugging percentage from the guy and an OPS pressing towards 1.0. Sure it’s only part way through the season, but the scary part is he isn’t even hitting home runs at a good clip, just doubles/triples, which at his ball park is certainly doable on a consistent basis. We’ll see, I’m just glad he’s not on the Yankees anymore!

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

HA!

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

that was supposed to say: insert milk pun here.

Now that I have used 2 posts on a lame joke, I will stop posting for the day while burying my head in unfunny shame.

8. fat4jc - May 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM

the fans seem to have embraced him….

• fat4jc - May 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM

direct link….sorry

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3317)