May 30, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
There’s been a lot more secrecy than firm timetables when it comes to Ryan Howard‘s recovery from a torn Achilles’ tendon, but today Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. finally offered some news on the first baseman’s status.
Asked by Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com if Howard would be able to return at some point in July, the GM replied: “I don’t believe so. I don’t think so.”
Then, when asked if Howard would return before the All-Star break in mid-July, he said: “I don’t know.”
Howard tore his Achilles’ tendon making the final out of the Phillies’ season in October and initially there was some hope that he’d be back in the lineup in May, but an infection ruined those plans and slowed his rehab timetable considerably. Seven months later he’s still building up strength in his atrophied calf.
Howard is in the first season of a five-year, $125 million contract extension.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 15
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 25
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 38
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)