Quote of the Day: why the Mets are doing well

May 30, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT

Citation Needed

According to Rich Coutinho of CBS New York, it’s …

Chemistry in the clubhouse.

It can extend winning streaks and snap losing streaks. The Mets have great chemistry, and that’s been been of the biggest reasons New York sits in second place in the competitive NL East.

And here I thought it was because of an MVP-caliber season from David Wright, offensive contributions from everyone else besides Ike Davis that are exceeding expectations, a resurgent Johan Santana helping the pitching look respectable when it was anticipated to be awful and an great deal of good fortune which has allowed the team to out-perform their Pythagorean record by a full five games.

But hey, if you wanna go with “chemistry,” be my guest.

1. Jonny 5 - May 30, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Winning usually comes before “good chemistry” in baseball. So much so that I’m almost inclined to think “good chemistry” may just be a result of winning instead of the other way around. Not sure.

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

If the Phils are in need of this good chemistry on the other hand, I propose we pick up that chemistry prospect Walter White out of New Mexico.

2. number42is1 - May 30, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Weird Science.. ience…ience…ience…

3. trybe29dr - May 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Lets see…good chemistry coincided the year jose reyes left…hmmmmm…

4. chadjones27 - May 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I took chemistry in college. Don’t remember anything about baseball.

• chadjones27 - May 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM

That was so dumb, I gave myself a thumbs down.

• natstowngreg - May 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I took chemistry in college. Don’t remember anything about chemistry.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

We aren’t in the clubhouse; we can’t act like we know for certain chemistry isn’t a factor at all. Perhaps it is the reason why Johan and David are kicking ass. Perhaps it’s not. But performance aside, chemistry is a reasonable deduction when a team performs well. I know I do some of my best work around people I enjoy being with.

• paperlions - May 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

That’s just silly. No one gets better at baseball because they are around a good group of guys. “Chemistry” is always a post hoc narrative. No one ever writes, this team isn’t that talented, but gosh darn they get along well that you should expect big things out of them this year.

Talented teams win regardless of whether or not they like each other….though it is easier to like each other when you are winning and much harder to do so under a media spot light when you are losing and everyone is pointing fingers and ascribing blame.

Winning begets good “chemistry”, not the other way around.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Until we’re on a MLB team, we have no idea if either of us are right. I think raw talent is obviously a vast majority of success, but I’m not going to discount chemistry too, based on my own ignorance.

• paperlions - May 30, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Untrue. There are no instances of crappy teams with good chemistry winning….there are plenty of instances of talented teams with crappy chemistry winning.

It isn’t that complicated. Winning is fun, losing sucks…winning creates good feelings people call “good chemistry”…when it is really just the fun of winning.

If chemistry was that important, people could build a successful team making talent take a back seat to chemistry….of course, this can’t be done.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Chemistry made Jose Canseco good. I wouldn’t be bragging about it if I were on the Mets.

7. neelymessier - May 30, 2012 at 4:41 PM

baseball is barely a team sport compared to football, basketball, or hockey. In those sports chemistry and camaraderie are much more important than in baseball. The A’s of the early 70’s hated each other, and their owner, and won three straight WS with minimal “chemistry”.

8. chill1184 - May 30, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Having a manager that actually pushes them instead of us throwing his hands up in the air giving up also helps. One game at a time.

All the trade deadline news to know