Terry Francona: master of seduction

May 30, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT

File image of Boston Red Sox manager Francona leaving the field after being ejected from the game by umpire after arguing a controversial call with officials during the fourth inning of their American League MLB baseball game in Seattle

This is a pretty darn Deadspin story, but since it comes from Deadspin, I suppose it’s understandable. If it’s not your bag, move along.

Upshot: the separated Terry Francona has been sending “sexy” texts to a much younger woman. “Sexy” is in quotes because most people really wouldn’t consider a pic of Terry Francona with his shirt off and a towel wrapped around him, his bald head glistening in the sun to be “sexy.”

That aside, the boyfriend of the woman found it while apparently raiding her email. He then found a cleavage pic his girlfriend sent back to Tito and a bunch of texts they exchanged and sent it all on to Deadspin, who published the pics because that’s what Deadspin does. Ah, true love.

The takeaways:

• I’m not gonna get on Francona for this AT ALL. Dude is single and can do what he wants. He probably doesn’t know the woman has a boyfriend anyway.  Indeed, I actually find him almost adorable in a “poor recently-single guy has no clue whatsoever how to do the sexy texting thing with someone” way. Which in some ways I can relate to, sadly, even if I never did anything sad/funny like that since the ex and I split up. I don’t think so, anyway. Gotta ask my girlfriend about that.
  • The girlfriend: It’s hard to approve of someone in a relationship texting stuff like that to some other dude, but what she does is between her and her God, I guess;
  • But even if that’s wrong, isn’t this boyfriend a jerk for raiding his girlfriend’s email and texts and sending it on to a gossip site like Deadspin?  What is wrong with people? Maybe he’s being done wrong in the whole Terry Francona triangle, but if he doesn’t respect anyone’s privacy, he probably was gonna screw up and get dumped eventually.

Anyway: here’s to young love. And to older, bald, recently split dudes getting together with attractive young women. My name is Craig Calcaterra and I approve of that message.

1. EK Ohio - May 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Is this sort of stuff written into ESPN contracts these days? Geesh.

2. nolanwiffle - May 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Plying them with beer and chicken actually works?

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Maybe next you’ll hear they found empty beer bottles and used Popeyes wrappers in Rachel Nichols’ office.

• rollinghighwayblues - May 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

She seems more like she’d lay it down for the NFL.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM

When will people learn that if you’re in the spotlight, this will very likely be found? Tito can absolutely do what he wants as a single man, and if he didn’t know she had a boyfriend he did nothing wrong, but this is risky business.

*AHEM*Brett Favre and Anthony Weiner*AHEM*

4. heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Jockin Tito to his dismay.

• kopy - May 30, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Nailed it.

5. pbsenerchia - May 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Deadspin needs to just choke to death on their own hypocrisy, already.

6. ThisIsBaseball - May 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM

So, the boyfriend instead of confronting his girlfriend sends the stuff to Deadspin? Your girlfriend sent Francona a picture of her boobs first. Clearly she doesn’t like you that much. Plus, the pic of Francona is poolside on vacation; nothing erotic or explicit. I don’t see the big deal.

• kranepool - May 30, 2012 at 12:10 PM

if the boyfriend was “takin’ care of bizness” then maybe his damsel wouldn’t be sending Tito tity pics ?

• bloodysock - May 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Those boobs appeared to be a big deal.

Poor girl has no idea her boobs are now all over the internet.

7. rollinghighwayblues - May 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Always been a Tito fan but this story makes me appreciate him that much more.

• ob1canobie - May 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I am with this comment! I mean I dont have any women txting me their boobs, boyfriend or not… Go Tito!!

• Old Gator - May 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I remember when Jean-Luc was a sex symbol for the same reason as Tito. Make it so, Teets.

8. casey5jones - May 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Not to get into a debate with Craig on what is and isn’t sexy… but for at 53 years old, Tito doesn’t look all that bad.

• jarathen - May 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I am 30 years old and I do not have a Terry Francona body. I am both impressed by his fitness regime and ashamed of mine.

9. allisonhagen - May 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM

You never send me shirtless pix. /pout

• katiestars - May 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

It is the only route to cleavage pictures.

• Francisco (FC) - May 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM

It’s because he doesn’t want to scare you away.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM

You get the real deal, Allison.

10. fearlessleader - May 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Yes, the boyfriend is by far the most egregious asshole in this ridiculous story, and I will launch a singlehanded campaign to get Terry Francona into the Hall of Fame if he offers this woman a chance to appear on this week’s ESPN Sunday Baseball broadcast to share a list of her presumably-now-ex-boyfriend’s quirky private habits and anatomical oddities.

11. sabatimus - May 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The boyfriend sounds like a real winner.

12. illcomm - May 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Craig I just checked your pic out online n you kind of resemble that crazy crossdressing dude from Community.

• Craig Calcaterra - May 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You are not the first to say that. I actually get that a lot.

• jarathen - May 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Sounds like a compliment to me. Dean Craig Pelton is the glue of that show.

• heyblueyoustink - May 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Jim Rash?

• jasonc2300 - May 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I believe you mean Academy Award winner Jim Rash.

13. Francisco (FC) - May 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Sexy or not, I happen think Tito seems to be in fine shape for a 53 year old guy.

14. illcomm - May 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

15. 18thstreet - May 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM

This is why I don’t read Deadspin. What journalistic value is there in this story?

• nelsonsaint - May 30, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Deadspin isn’t about journalism, and they don’t claim to be. They report. We look.

It’s called Gawker Media for a reason.

• kidpresentable - May 30, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Did you ever sit around with your buddies and shoot the s#!t? Did you ever watch sports and rip on the players? Have you ever watched a sport and laughed as a player did or said something foolish? Have you ever seen or heard about a local sports figure doing something foolish – even if it’s just a rumor? That’s what Deadspin is. It’s a site that’s like sitting around, shooting the s#!t, ripping on stuff. It doesn’t have journalistic value nor does it seem like it’s trying to. It’s not going to win a Pulitzer, but occasionally, it can change what you think about an athlete (see Favre, Brett).

• 18thstreet - May 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I have never assumed that celebrities’ lives are interesting. Deadspin hasn’t changed that.

No one who has read Ball Four could possibly think these are choir boys. The specifics are irrelevant.

• sportsdrenched.com - May 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Right, if this story were about my neighbor…I would still read it.

• sabatimus - May 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I thought this was a blog.

• 18thstreet - May 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Is NBC not a news organization?

16. illcomm - May 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Yes, Jim Rash, blue.

17. eshine76 - May 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Good for Tito. He’s in better shape than many 27 year olds and likely doesn’t come with the emotional insecurities that her tool boyfriend has.

18. cur68 - May 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I may not be bald, but I’m 44, single and I too approve of Tito doing whatever the hell he wants with a consenting adult. Go Tito. Get on base, even if you have to bunt your way on.

• 24missed - May 30, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Wait, I thought you were the master of seduction. Francona?
      Huh? Discuss.

19. aceshigh11 - May 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Hey, good for him.

If this girl is in her 20s or whatever, I don’t want hear people whining about it being “age inappropriate” or “he’s old enough to be her father!”

B.S.

Any middle-aged guy who says that he wouldn’t date a young woman in her 20s because of the age gap is lying to himself.

• nightman13 - May 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

and lying to others

• drewsylvania - May 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The age gap wouldn’t bother me…the immaturity gap would.

• sabatimus - May 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

If there IS an immaturity gap…which is admittedly likely.

20. drewsylvania - May 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Oh noes–a heterosexual man acting like a heterosexual man!

Soon the media will warp things so that it’s more okay to be gay than straight, when in reality both are okay.

21. jlovenotjlo - May 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM

The psycho boyfriends ALWAYS get cheated on

• sabatimus - May 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I was the other guy once. I’ll just say that the psycho boyfriend was such an abusive jackass that I’m not sorry I did it.

22. joewilliesshnoz - May 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Brad Pitt he ain’t , but it’s still better than smelling Big Poppy after a double header ! ! !

• sabatimus - May 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I’ve never gotten THAT close to Ortiz….or do you mean something opium-based? In that case I disagree ;p

23. vallewho - May 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

T1ts for Tito

24. buffalomafia - May 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Good for Tito!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3731)