The Reds Todd Frazier saves a mans life with the Heimlich Maneuver

May 30, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

todd-frazier-reds Getty Images

The headline says it all, but here’s Frazier talking about what went down in a Pittsburgh restaurant the other night:

“We’re just eating there, talking,” Frazier said. “I looked in the corner of my eye. I said, ‘Ludwick, I think that guy’s choking.’ Next thing I know there’s two ladies one on each side, trying to pop it out. (Ludwick) said, ‘Get over there.’ I was the closest one.

“I ran over there and said, ‘let me try it.’ I tried it twice. It popped out. It was monster piece. The guy was very thankful. The lady he was with was crying. It was surreal. I never done it before in my life.”

The guy apparently picked up Frazier and Ryan Ludwick‘s tab, not realizing they were ballplayers. Between that and his .579 slugging percentage. it’s been a pretty solid year for Frazier so far.

1. tonyc920 - May 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Not unusual for Pittsburgh. They’re used to choking !!

Really though, this is a nice story and the young man should be complimented for taking action.

2. hfspodcast - May 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM

What you may not know (and only someone from cincinnati would know this) is that the inventor of the Heimlich Maneuver Henry Heimlich has lived in Cincinnati for several years and his son Phil was a Cincinnati city councilman.

• justinreds - May 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I live in Cincinnati and I didn’t know that.

3. inkedchef - May 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Ryan Ludwick was at lunch with Todd Frazier–he saw it, too, but thought the guy was choking on a curveball and missed it by 2 feet.

4. number42is1 - May 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Cano choked twice last night…. once looking

either way well done on saving the dudes life… i once had it performed on me when i was 13 and having a BBQ for finishing 8th grade. not going to lie… was pretty scary

5. metalhead65 - May 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM

great day for frazier at the plate yesterday to,now that he is hot he will have to sit out tonights game of course because according to the book of dusty those valuable bench guys like cairo and valdez must get playing time to to get their bats lukewarm.

6. thecapedbandito - May 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM

[Obligatory joke about player/team/city choking in high pressure situations]. Amirite?

7. pmcenroe - May 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM

A no-handed homerun and now this! Todd Frazier is a Golden God!

8. cur68 - May 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Cool. Well done, Ryan Ludwig. More people should know how to do this. Its easy and almost always works. I believe our very own Jonny5 had to save his sister’s life when she was choking. If I recall the story correctly, they were both children, too. Anyhow, another survival skill for the Zombie Apocalypse which is honed by baseball. That’s why I love baseball.

• cur68 - May 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Oops, that was supposed to be Todd Frazier. Well, Ludwig told him to spring into action, so still, well done Ryan. And a tip O’ the Blue Jays Cap to Mr. Frazier.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Speaking of the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse, do you think a zombie would perform the Heimliech manuever to a fellow zombie choking from eating somebody’s face? Or would that zombie just eat the choking the zombie?

I’m not too sure of the proper etiquette here.

• cur68 - May 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Oh no, ‘Fax, it would almost certainly be Zombie on Zombie Violence in the eventuality of a face-choking Zombie. Eat the weak, y’know. It seems that Zombies operate by a strict moral code: they have none. This is why its best to kill on sight, show no mercy and get them before they get you. Practice your homerun cut (useful with a machete to the neck of the zombie), you slide-under-the-tag (useful for when you have to slide to safety under a closing steel garage door or thru the legs of a lurching horde to escape a cu-lde-sac) & 96mph fastball (useful for when you need to knock over rabbits for food, stun a zombie, or heave a hand grenade). I suggest studying the Resident Evil movies for pro-tips. You’ll see some sweet zombie killing moves and hey, Milla Jovovich is in them. I heart Milla Jovovich.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Maybe they have a different style of zombies in Canada, because the zombies I see in America are always travelling in bunches and only going after the un-undead. They stand around a shopping park lot all day, banging on doors together, to get their fresh meat, instead of banging out each other. Even English zombies would prefer to die of starvation due to their inability to grab at Fat Man or Little Boy (or that naked dude who got himself in a car accident) rather than turn on themselves.

Yes. It’s very perplexing. I’ve often wondered that, instead of having to run away from these cretins of hell, that wouldn’t it be better to relax and just become one. Walking around in a daze mumbling to myself only to die by being staked through the heart or have my face blown off doesn’t really scare me. I work in corporate world’s cubicle, man, for 8 hours a day.

• ltzep75 - May 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM

You’re both wrong. As Bill Murray taught us, best thing to do during the Zombi-pocalypse is to put on makeup that makes you appear to be a zombie, and walk around muttering while you do your grocery shopping, etc. Well, until Jessie Eisenberg shoots you.

9. gosport474 - May 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

A third baseman gets a save, and in this instance, it actually has value.

10. thephilsabide - May 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I don’t really care if he was a ball player…dude saves my life, I’m buying his dinner.

11. drewsylvania - May 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

This is awesome.

12. joewilliesshnoz - May 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM

All he needed was an Iron City beer to wash down that Primanti’s cheesesteak and he’d have been fine .

• foreverchipper10 - May 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Oof. Nobody needs an Iron City beer. Blech!

Ace-killer Giants do it again