May 30, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
We’ve had all kinds of fun with the story of the 49 year-old Jamie Moyer coming back from Tommy John surgery and actually landing a job in the major leagues. But now it seems that fun is over:
Rockies designate Jamie Moyer for assignment.
— Tracy Ringolsby (@ROOTSPORTS_TR) May 30, 2012
Moyer made 10 starts for the Rockies and, overall, the results were poor. He was 2-5 with a 5.70 ERA and allowed a league-leading 75 hits in 53 and two-thirds innings while sporting a 1.733 WHIP. For his career, Moyer is 269-209 with a 4.25 ERA in a staggering 25 seasons.
Though the end — if this is the end — is sad, there was never any reason to believe he’d even make it back after his Tommy John surgery. The story, in my view anyway, is still a happy one. One of perseverance and determination, even if he never pitches in the bigs again. TV movie stuff, here, and I mean that in the best way possible.
Here’s hoping he latches on someplace. Or, if he doesn’t, that he finds peace in retirement. A long delayed retirement that many pitchers with twice Moyer’s talent and physical gifts started a decade earlier than he will.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)