May 30, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
We’ve had all kinds of fun with the story of the 49 year-old Jamie Moyer coming back from Tommy John surgery and actually landing a job in the major leagues. But now it seems that fun is over:
Rockies designate Jamie Moyer for assignment.
— Tracy Ringolsby (@ROOTSPORTS_TR) May 30, 2012
Moyer made 10 starts for the Rockies and, overall, the results were poor. He was 2-5 with a 5.70 ERA and allowed a league-leading 75 hits in 53 and two-thirds innings while sporting a 1.733 WHIP. For his career, Moyer is 269-209 with a 4.25 ERA in a staggering 25 seasons.
Though the end — if this is the end — is sad, there was never any reason to believe he’d even make it back after his Tommy John surgery. The story, in my view anyway, is still a happy one. One of perseverance and determination, even if he never pitches in the bigs again. TV movie stuff, here, and I mean that in the best way possible.
Here’s hoping he latches on someplace. Or, if he doesn’t, that he finds peace in retirement. A long delayed retirement that many pitchers with twice Moyer’s talent and physical gifts started a decade earlier than he will.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?