May 30, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
We’ve had all kinds of fun with the story of the 49 year-old Jamie Moyer coming back from Tommy John surgery and actually landing a job in the major leagues. But now it seems that fun is over:
Rockies designate Jamie Moyer for assignment.
— Tracy Ringolsby (@ROOTSPORTS_TR) May 30, 2012
Moyer made 10 starts for the Rockies and, overall, the results were poor. He was 2-5 with a 5.70 ERA and allowed a league-leading 75 hits in 53 and two-thirds innings while sporting a 1.733 WHIP. For his career, Moyer is 269-209 with a 4.25 ERA in a staggering 25 seasons.
Though the end — if this is the end — is sad, there was never any reason to believe he’d even make it back after his Tommy John surgery. The story, in my view anyway, is still a happy one. One of perseverance and determination, even if he never pitches in the bigs again. TV movie stuff, here, and I mean that in the best way possible.
Here’s hoping he latches on someplace. Or, if he doesn’t, that he finds peace in retirement. A long delayed retirement that many pitchers with twice Moyer’s talent and physical gifts started a decade earlier than he will.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)