This is the end? The Rockies designate Jamie Moyer for assignment

May 30, 2012, 5:59 PM EST

We’ve had all kinds of fun with the story of the 49 year-old Jamie Moyer coming back from Tommy John surgery and actually landing a job in the major leagues. But now it seems that fun is over:

Sad jams.

Moyer made 10 starts for the Rockies and, overall, the results were poor. He was 2-5 with a 5.70 ERA and allowed a league-leading 75 hits in 53 and two-thirds innings while sporting a 1.733 WHIP. For his career, Moyer is 269-209 with a 4.25 ERA in a staggering 25 seasons.

Though the end — if this is the end — is sad, there was never any reason to believe he’d even make it back after his Tommy John surgery.  The story, in my view anyway, is still a happy one. One of perseverance and determination, even if he never pitches in the bigs again. TV movie stuff, here, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Here’s hoping he latches on someplace. Or, if he doesn’t, that he finds peace in retirement. A long delayed retirement that many pitchers with twice Moyer’s talent and physical gifts started a decade earlier than he will.

source: Getty Images

1. Leigh in CO - May 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I love his story, and, though this not unexpected, it’s still sad to see him go. He’s been great to have around.

2. Matt S - May 30, 2012 at 6:09 PM

What a shame! Though I think Moyer might do fine in a slightly gentler place to pitch, like, say, San Diego. So many teams need pitching at some point during the season that I bet he catches on somewhere. Hope so, anyway. I’d like to see him pitch again next year- at 50!

• gloccamorra - May 31, 2012 at 5:39 PM

The Rockies’ pitching is even worse than the Padres’ injury-riddled staff, and if the Rockies let him go…

Sure, Petco would cut down on the 11 homers he’s given up in 53 innings and 3 walks/9 is better than Volquez, but what about the 75 hits? And if the Rockies can’t score enough runs for him, how could the Padres?

3. mdpickles - May 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I hope he gets his dream of pitching when he is 50. Although, seeing Don Giancarlo’s Salami off of Moyer last week will always be memorable.

4. cleverbob - May 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Bravo, Jamie. Enjoy your retirement.

5. mississippimusicman - May 30, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Surely someone with a non-insane home park will pick him up, even if it’s just for depth. He still looks good compared to Mike Minor. His BABIP is way, way above his last few years’ numbers, and he actually had decent results in April. He’s a decent pitcher who has had a terrible month. Surely there’s someone in a front office who can see that.

• contraryguy - May 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Yeah I watched the Reds/Rockies game when he last pitched, and it wasn’t pretty. Not going to get any good press when your team hits 5 HR for you and you lose the game. Somebody will need an arm, bet he gets picked up.

6. coloradothistle - May 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I saw him win the historic game in person at Coors Field. I don’t think you can blame the venue for the lack of success he had after that. The players in that game (SD) tried to screw themselves into the ground to kill his pitches. After that, teams seemed to catch on to his lack of speed and were more patient. Once they started waiting on his pitches, he became like BP to teams.

I think it’s great what he achieved over a marvelous career, but I doubt that he can pitch more effectively somewhere else.

• mississippimusicman - May 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I think Coors Field just got in his head. He changed his game to try to be successful there, and what was working there wasn’t working elsewhere. His strikeout rate is up this year, which isn’t usually his style–I think maybe he was trying to strike out more batters to avoid the long ball, instead of letting guys get themselves out. With a little time to get his head on straight, he could be a good option for fifth starter on a few teams. Looking deeper into his batted ball numbers, I think he just had an unlucky month of May.

7. emoser - May 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Wouldn’t mind seeing the Phillies pick him up, even if it’s just temporary. With Kendrick taking Halladay’s spot in the rotation they could use a new long reliever, which could be a good fit for Moyer.

• Utley's Hair - May 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I don’t know about on the mound, but I’d certainly welcome him into Dubee’s ranks. Word has it that he was an important part in training the young hurlers, so come on home, Fossil.

• cleverbob - May 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I question whether he’s capable of warming up out of the bullpen on short notice.

8. justthepeanutgallery - May 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM

A little perspective in Moyer’s determination – He is a year younger than Darryl Strawberry

9. IdahoMariner - May 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

great, great guy who just loves to play ball. hope he is happy, whatever comes next.

10. danaking - May 30, 2012 at 6:44 PM

A class act, and based on the picture, possibly the last player who knows how to properly wear his socks.

11. sanzarq - May 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Too bad – I’ll really miss him.

12. vanmorrissey - May 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

SD will pick him up for sure and have him only pitch home evening games with dank Marine layer. They need arms badly, any arm will do at this point. At least for one or two starts they’ll give it a try.

• icanspeel - May 30, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I was thinking the same thing.. He can’t be any worse than Jeff Suppan anyways

• ptfu - May 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

…or Jason Marquis, who just signed a minor-league deal.

13. natstowngreg - May 30, 2012 at 7:01 PM

He pitches left-handed. That alone should get him another chance with someone.

14. genericcommenter - May 30, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Since pitcher wins are still over-rated, I was hoping he would not reach 270.

• genericcommenter - May 31, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Sorry. I enjoy longevity- I was a fan of Tommy John when I was a kid. I just don’t like when stat compilers pass far better players and the old-time HOF voters and other writers who place so much emphasis on them reward the lesser players at the expense of the better ones.

15. cur68 - May 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Good luck, Mr. Moyer.

16. hushbrother - May 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM

When the Rays are faced with the prospect of having no one under 30 available to start, they should break their streak by signing Moyer to start the game. Why not? This is the team that gave Jim Morris a shot.

17. victorlebanon - May 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM

He’d be the staff ace for the Twins.

• rooney24 - May 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I would have agreed with that a few weeks ago. But, the young guys (Diamond, Walters, to a lesser extent DeVries) have pitched fairly well so far. We’ll see if they can keep it up, but they could help turn it around if they can get a couple of young starters to pitch even well enough to give the team a chance most days.

18. dawglb - May 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Would love to see him get to 275 W’s. He is a Hall of Famer in my book. Phils, bring him back!

19. rooney24 - May 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I hope he gets another chance, both this year and next, as I would love to see a 50 year old pitcher. But, if he doesn’t, it has been an impressive ride, and I wish him the best.

Even if he has struggled this year, he is a better pitcher than a lot of guys 20 years younger than him (referring mostly to guys in the minors and/or struggling worse).

20. larryboodry - May 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I have followed his career since he broke in with the Cubs, he and Greg Maddux both came up to stay in the late 80’s…I too hope this is not the end…The Cubs are not likely to be interested, but that’d be a nice story, if he could finish where he began.

21. Jonny 5 - May 31, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Uhhh, there are like 30 other pitchers not as good as Jamie Moyer is right now at not allowing runs in MLB. I don’t see why everyone thinks he won’t find a job.

22. markcycy - May 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Phillies return>????/

23. gustavov8 - May 31, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Well, he would still fare better than Tyson Ross.
    If the A’s can’t win anymore at least would be with this good ol’fella ahead of the pitching staff!

24. chadjones27 - May 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Jamie Moyer, my second favorite pitcher. Here’s to hoping you find employment elsewhere in the big leagues, even if it’s not as a pitcher.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester